Tube Expander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

There times when I would rather not have a super tight press fit, watch parts pens for one. There are several options but I bought this on Amazon and it's been working perfectly. There's a small learning curve but very easily mastered. For this to work properly you need to size the brass tube before you glue it in our cast it. I haven't seen it mentioned here so I thought I'd share.
ACF03F5A-509E-4908-8FFC-7679CA173559.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
16 thumbs up!

That also looks useful for segmented pens that have many, many small segments and very thin ID/OD dimensions. I have on countless times had a 40-60-80 segment pen split upon press fit. I did on many occasions sand down the inner tube, but still had issues. Additionally, with humidity, temperature shifts, some of my segmenting had problems 6-12-18 months later.

If my memory serves me correct, this one had over 500 'joints/segments'. It 'blossomed' while drilling, but held together upon assembly. But I wish i had a slip fit just for insurance.

2E865D31-3C4E-4163-BFAD-C1D135B2A082_1_201_a.jpeg

A hearty thanks for this FIY!

Kenny Durrant

Great Thinking Ken. I've used reamers to take care of that on a few pens. Although it worked well it was a pain and a little scary at the same time. This is something I'll sure look into and try. This will be a tool I'd think most pen turners should think about.

KenB259

Great Thinking Ken. I've used reamers to take care of that on a few pens. Although it worked well it was a pain and a little scary at the same time. This is something I'll sure look into and try. This will be a tool I'd think most pen turners should think about.
It's been working well for me, you just have to be careful. I just apply some pressure and turn and just keep checking until I get the slip fit I'm looking for. Only the outer two steps fit pen tubes, but it's all I've needed.

Dieseldoc

Ken, Mark and Kenny you have described the same problem that I have encountered and using same tools for fix. Just place order for one. Thanks Ken for the idea.
Cheers
Charlie

KenB259

Ken, Mark and Kenny you have described the same problem that I have encountered and using same tools for fix. Just place order for one. Thanks Ken for the idea.
Cheers
Charlie
Let us know how it works for you. Like I said it has worked well for me. Practice a little on a scrap or extra tube.

jttheclockman

My procedure is if I am making a delicate blank and know pressing on the tubes could be a problem I do one of 2 things, either take drift pin and flare the top of the tube somewhat to help with slip fit which usually works. But second I will press the tubes on the components ahead of building the blank and then punch off which is quite easy because no adhesive to block the expansion of those thin tubes. Then build blank and before inserting parts make sure I ream that top of the tube well. Have had no failures to this point. I mark the top and bottom of tube with a marker. Red top and blue bottom or some combination.

duncsuss

Excellent tip, thank you!

It's also very important to have a slip-fit when making pens with Fordite - the slightest outwards pressure will crack it.

tomborusky

do you have a link for that particular tool? I can't seem to find an Amazon product that's has good reviews.

jrista

So, with these stepped tools...are you just expanding the end of the tube, and not all the way through?

If you wanted to expand all the way through the tube...I can't imagine you would be able to with a tool like this... In which case, how would you do that?

jttheclockman

So, with these stepped tools...are you just expanding the end of the tube, and not all the way through?

If you wanted to expand all the way through the tube...I can't imagine you would be able to with a tool like this... In which case, how would you do that?
Why would you need to do that? It is only a small portion that the components touch the tube.

KenB259

I'm expanding just the very end and just a very small amount

jrista

Why would you need to do that? It is only a small portion that the components touch the tube.
Lot of the pens I make, for caps, there is a black protective sheath that goes most of the way through the tube. Then on the other end, you have the finial part. Those darn black plastic sheathes have been responsible for a number of cracked blanks. I've taken to trying to turn the sheathe down a bit, which helps, but its not easy, and often requires gluing them in place which complicates disassembly later. For some kits, notably Tritons (which I LOVE, but have had this happen too many times), the fittings just in general seem to be too large, and will often crack the blank. Tritons also have that plastic sheath. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Lot of the pens I make, for caps, there is a black protective sheath that goes most of the way through the tube. Then on the other end, you have the finial part. Those darn black plastic sheathes have been responsible for a number of cracked blanks. I've taken to trying to turn the sheathe down a bit, which helps, but its not easy, and often requires gluing them in place which complicates disassembly later. For some kits, notably Tritons (which I LOVE, but have had this happen too many times), the fittings just in general seem to be too large, and will often crack the blank. Tritons also have that plastic sheath. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks. Then that tool will probably work for you.

KenB259

I know the plastic part very well, many pens have them. I will say I've never had a pen crack because of the plastic part. If this is your experience then I doubt this tube expander will be helpful to you. As most tools it may not be helpful 100 percent of the time but my experience is that it works very well and it has worked for me every time I have used it.

randyrls

Having computer problems; I just use a close fitting transfer punch. Insert it into the end of brass tube about 1/4" or so and "swirl" it in a circle to expand just the end of the tube. Do this until the fitting is a slip fit in the brass tube. Easy-peasy and you can get a close slip fit. Make sure the expanded brass tube fits into the hole drilled in the blank. You may have to go a few thousandths larger.

Computer working again, but needs rebuilt.

KenB259

Having computer problems; I just use a close fitting transfer punch. Insert it into the end of brass tube about 1/4" or so and "swirl" it in a circle to expand just the end of the tube. Do this until the fitting is a slip fit in the brass tube. Easy-peasy and you can get a close slip fit. Make sure the expanded brass tube fits into the hole drilled in the blank. You may have to go a few thousandths larger.

Computer working again, but needs rebuilt.
Seems like your method would flare it, but I'm not knocking it. Like all things penmaking, many methods for achieving your goal.

Todd in PA

I'm knocking out a set of Graduate pen kit, which have a history of cracking during assembly for me. So this is my first good chance to try expanding the tube ends with this tool. Three blisters later, I figure out that holding it in my hand isn't working. I used a transfer punch and a vice for the second half.

80DB90D3-BB88-4C97-9E97-5592CC61AE15.jpeg
92AEB4A2-4CF9-4389-A9A6-ABC1D1ACE0D8.jpeg

KenB259

I'm knocking out a set of Graduate pen kit, which have a history of cracking during assembly for me. So this is my first good chance to try expanding the tube ends with this tool. Three blisters later, I figure out that holding it in my hand isn't working. I used a transfer punch and a vice for the second half.

View attachment 346407View attachment 346408
Looks like it worked for you and looks like you have expanded them a pretty fair amount. Please keep us posted on your assembly results. The expander is still working well for me, no blisters, but it looks like you expanded them more than I have had to.

Top Bottom