Tube cutting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe Joe

I just bought some bulk brass tubes and have been using a Rigid mini tubing cutter with limited success . I'm hoping to get more adept at this new hobby (obsession) and I'll have less of a need for the extra tubing. What is everyone using to cut the tubing ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I use this… but I think PSI sells a one similar with a better base for cutting.

Attachments

• FC37FDF5-ED18-4412-9A8E-A77ADBDEA3B3.jpeg
    FC37FDF5-ED18-4412-9A8E-A77ADBDEA3B3.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 110

Kenny Durrant

I use the same one John uses. I would suggest the one with the better base. It has a stop so you can cut several without measuring each one and they're all exactly the same.

egnald

I use a Dremmel with a metal cutting wheel, or an angle grinder, and sometimes even a standard plumbers tubing cutter. In all of these cases I cut the tubes long and clean the rough and out-of-round ends using a blank squaring jig on my disc sander. I have occasionally also tapped a transfer punch through a few when they collapesed a little too much on the end that was cut.

I have often thought about buying one of the little electric cut-off saws though. I know Harbor Freight sells one for about $40, but it is likely very basic. I think the one from PSI is similar, but they mount it to a base with a T-Track type of fence. It's about double the cost though.

Regards,
Dave

southernclay

Bandsaw, cut them a little long and then use Rick Harrels squaring jig to get to perfect length. I've also used plumbing pipe cutter with the proper size punch inserted into the tube. Usually have to lightly team the cut end after.

jttheclockman

Bandsaw with metal blade when I need to cut. But every kit sells extra tubes it is just a waste to buy bulk when you can buy exact lengths. No guess work.

IMGP1044.JPG

jrista

I use this… but I think PSI sells a one similar with a better base for cutting.
I have one of these, too. Different brand, but it gets the job done nicely! I found a jig for these that can replace the built in clamp, that is designed to properly support long tubes during cutting. Forgot where I found it, so I haven't bought it yet, but it looked like a superb addon. If I ever find it again, I'll link it.

I just picked up a metal cutting bandsaw blade, with 10/14 tpi (I guess it has alternating ranges of teeth of different size/tpi), that I'm itching to give a try. I may have to create a little jig like in John's post above here and try that. I have tried using my normal wood cutting blade in the past, but its just 4 tpi, and it seems to bite and claw at the metal. Maybe I'm just too much of a bandsaw noob to handle it, but it worried me too much and I went back to the little metal cutting saw.

Bryguy

I use both a mini tubing cutter and the harbor freight mini saw. Neither is perfect, in both cases it is necessary to deburr the cut ends with a deburring tool.

wouldentu2?

I was cutting some tubes in half yesterday with my small tubing cutter then using an awl to expand the the cut end. I press it against a drill card at the 1/4" hole. It all works but takes too much tweaking the cut end. Wondered if there was an easier way that does not require another purchase.

Sly Dog

I still use the mini tubing cutter when needed, which is rare, but I use it with a punch to support the inside of the tube. Very little if any pinching of the end of the tube that way. Cut slightly oversize, as was previously mentioned, and disc sand to final length.

sorcerertd

I've also used plumbing pipe cutter with the proper size punch inserted into the tube.
I still use the mini tubing cutter when needed, which is rare, but I use it with a punch to support the inside of the tube.

It's funny how I can overlook the simplest things. Coulda had a v8, right? I've used a mini plumbers tubing cutter, but never really thought about supporting the tube on the inside while doing so. I've just taken as light of a cut as I can and pushing a cold steel punch in to ream it back to diameter, then sand it down with Rick Herrell's sanding jig as was also mentioned.

Curly

Metal lathe, 5C collet chuck with stop in the collet, parting tool. Once set they all come off at the same length. Just have to deburr them.

Top Bottom