Old Truck Theme, First Acrylic Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

This is for a colleague who has a 1953 truck that he really enjoys. So using that as inspiration, I created this. Another colleague cast the blank, and I added some Oak to match the wood in the bed of the truck. I was surprised at how easily the acrylic turned and finished. I also wanted to put a decal on this, but the ones that I could find just didn't look like they did in my mind, so I opted for simplicity instead. And going with a chrome kit was just obvious :cool:

One of the pen photos was taken in the garage (like my other photos), but the dark green resin just didn't show, so the other photo is taken outdoors in full sun to try and capture that. It wasn't entirely successful, but gets the idea across.

0206221340a.jpg
0206221341.jpg

0126220811_HDR.jpg
0126220811.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Beautiful! I'm a big fan of making pens to match retro or vintage real-world things. ;) Wonderful job in this one. Well matched!

David350

Wow, that's an amazing pen, I love it. I don't want this suggestion to take away from the beauty of your pen, but I suppose if you really wanted to trick this pen up, you could segment the wood with longitudinal aluminum strips to mimic the metal rails in the pickup bed. Again, its a great pen as is..

Fine Engineer

Wow, that's an amazing pen, I love it. I don't want this suggestion to take away from the beauty of your pen, but I suppose if you really wanted to trick this pen up, you could segment the wood with longitudinal aluminum strips to mimic the metal rails in the pickup bed. Again, its a great pen as is..
Interesting idea David. If I could get the aluminum polished prior to finishing, that could look really cool.
My original intent was to make a decal of the hood emblem and put that on the wood section, but none of the graphics I could find looked good once I printed them. I also looked at just using a blue 'Bowtie' emblem as a decal, but it started to look more like a cheap promotional item, so I opted for the clean look instead.

jrista

Interesting idea David. If I could get the aluminum polished prior to finishing, that could look really cool.
My original intent was to make a decal of the hood emblem and put that on the wood section, but none of the graphics I could find looked good once I printed them. I also looked at just using a blue 'Bowtie' emblem as a decal, but it started to look more like a cheap promotional item, so I opted for the clean look instead.
I think some aluminum rails would look nice.

I too, have often had trouble getting metals to truly shine in segmented pieces. That said, I used to stop sanding at about 800 grit...nowadays, I will sand at least to 2000 grit, and even more now with Zona paper, right down to 1 micron (which I think is around 10k grit or something like that). I wonder if that kind of high grit sanding might help with polishing up metals in blanks...

Top Bottom