Nail Polish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This question is for those that make cast on blanks such as watch part pens and use clear nail polish to adhere parts. My question is will this method be effective for things such as strips of different materials as well as things like Swarovski crystals. I have been using CA for watch parts and there are times when there will be too much spread out and it seems that this CA can be seen when clear cast. Can nail polish be seen under clear casting? Do you still have to be as careful when using? Finally what is a good brand of polish and where can you get it? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I have used nail polish (NP) on several watch parts blanks with good results. On the other hand, I have rushed a few attempts at securing some of the parts and slighly smeared the NP. NP does show in a clear cast if you smear it but not if you take your time and are judicious with the amount you use - it only takes a drop to adhere most parts. It does take time to set and parts can be moved which increased the 'smearage'. I have used the brand previously sold by T-Shadow (now owned by Speakeasy Pens) and was happy with it (don't recall the brand). I use Alumilite Clear Slow for casting.

However, I have since moved on to using AlumiUV UV resin as my adhesive of choice for watch parts as I can adhere them quicker using UV light thus avoiding any smearing.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

I have used clear nail polish for abalone strips and Jewel beetle wings. I have not had any issues with it being seen after casting. I have only used it with PR and do not know how well it might work with other resins. I use whatever my wife has on hand.

John473p

I have used nail polish (NP) on several watch parts blanks with good results. On the other hand, I have rushed a few attempts at securing some of the parts and slighly smeared the NP. NP does show in a clear cast if you smear it but not if you take your time and are judicious with the amount you use - it only takes a drop to adhere most parts. It does take time to set and parts can be moved which increased the 'smearage'. I have used the brand previously sold by T-Shadow (now owned by Speakeasy Pens) and was happy with it (don't recall the brand). I use Alumilite Clear Slow for casting.

However, I have since moved on to using AlumiUV UV resin as my adhesive of choice for watch parts as I can adhere them quicker using UV light thus avoiding any smearing.
I would love to try and make pen blanks using watch parts. Could you point me in the right direction for info/videos etc. Thanks.

dogcatcher

A different subject but a friend of my wife is a nail artist, her husband is a woodturner. She has painted some tubes for him and he cast them. I have seen a few of them, she sells them in the salon she works in. They are really beautiful, and apparently the women like them. Nail art can be pretty detailed, a step above the average "joe" turning wood. Our resident artist, Bob in SF should be able to replicate them.

Top Bottom