Trying a new method to mark my bushings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings IAP,

I decided to try a new way of marking my frequently used bushings to help keep them in order. Even though I have a pair of digital calipers right next to my work table, I'm so impatient I mark my bushings so I can put them in order without measuring each time. Initially I was using a diamond tip engraver and trying to put a 1,2,3 and 4 on the part of the bushing that goes inside the tube. I always use 1 for the Tip/Nib and then go in order with 4 being the Cap/Clip-Finial.

Unfortunately, half the time I can't read my own scribble on them because I am so unsteady with the engraver. So, today I tried cutting 1,2,3 and 4 slots in the bushings with my Dremel tool and a thin cutoff disk. I think it is a good solution and it is much easier to accomplish than using the engraver, but we will have to see if there is a downside and whether or not I have the discipline to carry through with it on my other bushing sets.

Regards,
Dave

PS These are Ed's Improved Fit Cigar Bushings from Exotic Blanks.
0.460, 0.490, 0.576, and 0.476.
Without a marking of some kind, 1,2, and 4 are so close in size that measuring each time is necessary.

IMG_3583 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

Yet another of your ideas that I am likely to shamelessly steal.

Brandy

That's a great idea. I'll have to try it, especially with these bushings. I have about decided to avoid this kit altogether because the bushings are so much trouble to get set up correctly

Ray-CA

After reading a few of the "I dropped my bushings on the floor...." posts, I decided mark them. Put Sharpie dots on the ends of the bushings and also on the bushing box. Started with one dot, then two etc.

KMCloonan

Dave, I think it is a really good idea... But I would have a concern that the balance of the bushings when spinning 3500 rpm may add some vibration since the grooves you cut removed metal, mostly from one side of the bushing.

What would you think about trying to evenly space the grooves? 4 grooves would be 90 degrees apart. 3 would be 120 degrees apart (approximate) and 2 would be 180 degrees apart.

Of course, if you are already using your bushings and not seeing a vibration problem, then
1688255532675.png

😁

egnald

Dave, I think it is a really good idea... But I would have a concern that the balance of the bushings when spinning 3500 rpm may add some vibration since the grooves you cut removed metal, mostly from one side of the bushing.

What would you think about trying to evenly space the grooves? 4 grooves would be 90 degrees apart. 3 would be 120 degrees apart (approximate) and 2 would be 180 degrees apart.

Of course, if you are already using your bushings and not seeing a vibration problem, then View attachment 356216

😁
That is an outstanding Idea. So far I haven't noticed any issue, but then again, my blanks are all a little out of balance when I start turning them since I never seem to get the hole drilled perfectly in the center. I really like your suggestion though, I will likely go that route if/when I mark more of them. I was also surprised at how easy it was to cut. The slots went a lot deeper than I had originally planned. I might have to try to come up with some kind of fixture to help. - Thanks again, Dave

randyrls

Yep; I do slightly different. I put the grooves in a ring around the larger portion of the bushing. Just touch it with the point of my skew, then if there is a burr, I remove the burr.

"Lets see how do I mount the bushing so I can put the groove(s) on it? I need some kind of mounting mandrel.... Well, yes of course I have one" :)

I started this when I mixed up cigar pen bushings! (on THREE PENS!) :mad:

egnald

Yep; I do slightly different. I put the grooves in a ring around the larger portion of the bushing. Just touch it with the point of my skew, then if there is a burr, I remove the burr.

"Lets see how do I mount the bushing so I can put the groove(s) on it? I need some kind of mounting mandrel.... Well, yes of course I have one" :)

I started this when I mixed up cigar pen bushings! (on THREE PENS!) :mad:
Yup, Cigar bushings were my nemesis too. I might just have to try out your solution too. It sounds a lot easier than what I am doing. - Dave

Top Bottom