revisiting G2 mod questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I had someone interested in a Patriot (Artisan) kit in antique brass and olive. As an aside, I feel this is a combo you can never go wrong with. Anyway, he wants something that will take a G2 refill in the antique brass finish. As for the artisan, the tip would work and barrel could easily be made longer, but when I test fit it, the little plug on the end of the G2 refill came out and got stuck in the twist mechanism. That was a pain to get out and I'm just going to say nope to that mod. There doesn't look to be enough meat on the tube/shaft the plunger sits in to widen it enough to accommodate the diameter of the G2. I'm assuming the Dayacom exemplar/professor would be the same, but don't have one around to test that.

The idea of swapping the click mechanisms between the Blade and DuraClick EDC is intriguing (From when I originally inquired here.), but there's still no antique options. I can make a G2 work in a Sierra button click, but again, there's no antique finishes.

I've test fit with the kits that I do have around, but has anybody know if it might work with the Everyday Classic, Celtic, Knurl GT, Vertex click (all PSI)? The duraclick didn't really work with it, though it was soooo close. Something to do with the plunger tolerance would either, not allow it to lock into place, or to not have proper extension when adjusted to where the click mechanism actually worked.

Jr's are another story, but I wasn't really looking for a capped pen if I can help it. The G2 seems to work well with a "straight" shaft section like the gent, you know, the one with no antique finishes available. Go figure. It does not work with the curved section on most of the jr kits (the tip just doesn't extend far enough without modification for my taste even if it does work fine to write with.

In my searches I came across this new kit that I really like. It does not appear that it would work for a G2 mod, but I might have to try these out anyway.

egnald

Pilot G2 refills are pretty much drop in and go as far as most of the rollerball pen styles go, but I have never heard of modifying a Parker style "Click" or "Twist" kit to use them. I always use Pilot G2 refills in the Magnetic (Crooked Mill), the Rollester (PSI), and both the Caballero and Diamond Knurl Rollerballs from Exotic Blanks - all without any modifications to the kit required. The Caballero and Diamond Knurl are both available in an antique brass finish from Exotic Blanks.

If you are open to a Parker style refill that uses a Gel ink similar to the Pilot G2, there are a few around:
- Parker gel refill: https://amzn.to/42QlPpK
- Monteverde Gel Roller refill: https://amzn.to/3M25SFQ (The ones I use)
- Schneider Gelion+: https://amzn.to/41uBTwa

If you find a good mod though for Parker styles that works with G2 refills, please let us know as many are sold on the Gel ink and on the Pilot G2 in particular.

Regards,
Dave

PS I've found it important to store Gel ink refills vertically with the tip down. Sometimes a little bit of air can leak in around the ball which creates an air bubble or gap between the ink and the ball. This prevents ink from reaching the ball and since the ink is quite thick, that bubble will not float up and away from the tip. This is also the most common reason that Gel ink pens quit working sometimes after they are dropped, especially if they land with the tip up. The inertia of the ink due to the impact causes air to to leak in around the ball creating the air gap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom