Tragic Death - Dale (the Burl Guy)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

He was a friend to many of us . . . Dale Brobst (Dale the Burl Guy) died in a fire at his shop. Not only was Dale a contributor to the Birthday Bash, but he was always ready to answer questions and give advice. Our sympathy to his family.

Here's the link to the news story:

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/79-year-old_baldwin_county_man.html

The date of the fire was April 7th. He past away a few days later. Here's another link with a photograph of his house and shop.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/artist_critically_injured_in_b.html

And, the obit:
http://obits.al.com/obituaries/mobile/obituary.aspx?n=dale-brobst&pid=141752395

If you don't have at least a couple of fire extinguishers near the exit door of your shop . . . it's time to get some.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
What a shame - he seemed like a terrific fellow. This is truly a sad series of events.

From the article: "he had initially escaped his burning woodshop, which was inside an attached garage. But he succumbed to flames and smoke when he went into his house in search of a fire extinguisher. "

Let that be a lesson to us - escape first, then call the fire department...and don't go back in! It's just terrible that we had to learn the lesson like this...

RAdams

Banned
I have never had the pleasure of speaking with him personally, but he will be missed none the less. What a tragic story. My family will be praying for the friends and family, Including the IAP family and friends.

DocStram

Although I never met him personally, I always enjoyed visiting his website. I did speak with him over the phone a few times. He was always willing to give advice. He was a heck of a turner.

During last year's Birthday Bash I got really lucky and won a box of burl bottle stoppers that Dale had donated. There were some real gems in that box.

workinforwood

That is truly a sad story. I can only assume he went in to get a fire extinguisher to try and save his burls. Sounds like a strange thing to do, but at the same time it does not sound strange at all. I could definitely see myself trying to rescue some of my artwork. Certain things can have a value to a person beyond anyone elses understanding. I bet it was an emotional decision, not a monetary decision that made him want to try and stop the fire.

sparhawk

That is terrible news. I only live about 30 miles from him and keep telling my wife i was going to go by and see him and some of his work. Guess that will never happen now. Dont put off till tommorrow what you can do today. Sad loss indeed.

David Keller

Heartfelt sympathy to his wife and family... I've purchased a few things from him in the past and was always pleased with the product.

Bree

So very sorry to hear of this tragedy. Our prayers go out to his family and friends. Rest in Peace.
:frown::frown::frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom