TOOL HANDLES II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

What can I say, except that I have a "good handle" in life. When I need a little break from pen turning, I really get a kick making screwdriver handles that utilize common available hex bit inserts. The tang for the hex bit is well seated in the handle and firmly secured with Gorilla glue. I also turned a handle for my custom made diamond tipped pen mill. I like them and will hope you do as well. :)

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 184
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 209
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 182
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Diamond tipped pen mill. now I want to see that. got any close ups of the blades?

Encouraging to hear that you use gorilla glue to hold up to all the tork pressure.

do you have any dimensions for your screwdriver handles that you need to stay within? The reason I ask is that I know from experience that both hammer handle and screwdriver handle size and shape will make a big difference when it comes to hand cramps or exhaustion. Many people have experienced that, "I need a screwdriver with a bigger handle" thing. but I bought a top of the line hammer years ago. used it a lot for about 3 years. then one day went to put some trim or something in for my wife and just grabbed the hammer she keeps in the house. I noticed how tired my hand was after driving just a half dozen nails. Anyway i never have really stopped t figure out just what size handle is the best but would like to make my own turning tool handles. might as well do it right the first time.

By the way dose your pen mill want heels to go with it's diamonds?(the little wink face at the top left corner, yeah well it si supposed to be right here)

cozee

Sweet! Are you using the tang from the low buck screwdrivers and turning off the plastic handles? Or do you have a source for just the tangs?

Last edited:

wood-of-1kind

Sweet! Are you using the tang from the low buck screwdrivers and turning off the plastic handles? Or do you have a source for just the tangs?

Greg, screwdriver holding bit is a standalone purchase (bargain priced) readily available from local building centres. The particular one in the pic is manufactured by Wera (Germany) and is distributed in Canada by many establishments. Mine were were purchased from INDUSTRIAL ABRASIVES (Toronto,Canada). Wera makes these with a built in locking feature that securely keep the hex bits in place and have a quick release mechanism to disengage the small hex bits. They're a bit pricier than the usual design but worth the extra money.

Daniel, I will take a close up photo that shows the diamond tips (4) of my 10 mm cutter. They were inserted by a local (B.C. Saw & Sharpening Co.) and keep an edge much better than regular carbide tipped cutters. After 200+ pens later it still delivers 'scary sharp' results.

wood-of-1kind

do you have any dimensions for your screwdriver handles that you need to stay within? The reason I ask is that I know from experience that both hammer handle and screwdriver handle size and shape will make a big difference when it comes to hand cramps or exhaustion.

Daniel, I make the 'barrels'(dia.) of the handle various sizes to suit the individual. I personally prefer a diameter of 1" or more and it becomes a personal thing. Generally a larger diameter than common screwdrivers puts less pressure on the hand and wrist to drive (torque) the screws in. Play with different sizes/design to get a feel for what works best for you or a potential customer(s). As they say, "not all sizes fit all". :wink:

wood-of-1kind

Diamond tipped pen mill. now I want to see that. got any close ups of the blades?

Here they are. Best pic that I was able to get from my camera. I also have some forstner diamond tipped bits that better show the diamond tip. Unlike 'engagement' ring diamonds, this quality of diamond is extremely affordable. Both the 7mm 10mm pen mills were done for approximately $175 CAD for the pair.

Greg, I've also taken a pic of the Wera hex screwdiver insert and shown at the side of an unturned maple blank to give abetter idea as to how the tang enters the handle.

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 124
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 108
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Top Bottom