Too Much Catalyst

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tage

So for some reason I read 5 drops of catalyst per ounce but my brain interpreted that as 10 drops per ounce (yes, I am a knucklehead). I used 30 drops for 3 ounces for a casting of clear Castin' Craft. What's the consensus? Another failed attempts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tage

Yeah. It's in the mold, so what the heck, might as well see how it turns out. So I'll keep in mind it might be brittle. Seems to be setting up ok after an hour. Thanks.

KDM

AN HOUR? Seems like along time. I can have PR start to gel in 20 minutes with 2% MEKP.
As well as being brittle (cut you to sheds if it shatters as you turn it), watch out for the heat as it cures!!

Tage

AN HOUR? Seems like along time. I can have PR start to gel in 20 minutes with 2% MEKP.
As well as being brittle (cut you to sheds if it shatters as you turn it), watch out for the heat as it cures!!

It was pretty hard after an hour (still tacky feeling though). Haven't checked it since. I'll give it a shot and see how it turns.

longbeard

I use 7 drops per ounce with same stuff. I usually pour of an evening when i'm done in the shop for the day, put it in the pot at 52lbs of pressure, take it out around 3:00pm the next day (its when i get home from work) and it falls out of my mold (UHMW) I leave it in the pot that long because i'm not in a hurry to turn it, turns like any pr that i have bought, never brittle. Shines like glass.

Last edited:

sbell111

I assume that what you meant by 'seems to be setting up fine after an hour' was that you poured it in your mold and then left it alone. You returned an hour later and it was hard, but tacky. It may have been 'hard but tacky' after ten or fifteen minutes for all we know. If this is correct, than your PR is acting normally.

'Hard but tacky' is how PR is supposed to be. This allows a person to pour multiple layers and have good adhesion between layers. People deal with this tackiness in a number of ways. Some warm it in a toaster oven. Some just let it sit for a few days. Others ignore the issue since they will be turning that tacky top layer right off anyway.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Steves "hard but tacky" is an excellent description. And that tacky can last a LONG time. I've gotten PR blanks at Woodcraft that are still tacky in the bag. That means they stayed tacky a long time, because they went through a shipping and distribution chain.

I'm in the "ignore and throw it on the lathe" camp because the tacky layer is thin and goes away :)

Tage

Thanks all for the feedback. Steve, that is exactly what I meant, poured it in the mold and left it for an hour. No pressure pot here. Looks like there's one bubble near the tube, turning will tell how close. This is a learning process.

Haynie

I don't cast yet but have used some brittle stuff. Make sure you wear a face shield. You don't want a sharp chip up your nose, DAMHIKT, or in your eye.

sbell111

For some reason that last post reminded me of a personal peave.

Our shop currently shares space in our garage. I keep my [strike]mistress[/strike] Allante in the garage. One day, I had parked her in the garage, but failed to cover her. Cathy was on the lathe turning some extremely brittle resin round. Pieces were flying off and pinging the convertible. No damage was done and a bath removed all evidence, but I have learned to keep her covered.

PedroDelgado

I use anywhere from 7 to 10 drops per OZ depending on the temperature. I like it when it cures nice and slow, it turns out to be less brittle so I tend to pour my resins in the Winter,....... OK that is not the only reason.... I am stuck inside with not much to do during COLD days ;-)

Top Bottom