Tired something different today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darrin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

F73EAEA8-5D09-44B7-B4CA-788E0E97A305.jpeg

jttheclockman

Can we assume this is aluminum?? Looks like it turned out real nice. If it is aluminum, turns well with carbide tools but is chippy and does not come off in strings. Need to cover bed from bits getting into electronics and motors. I like to use 6061 grade. turns well. I also will use as a final finish to get a matted finish a non-woven pad. I believe this hides scratches better than a highly polished pen. But have done that too. Many possibilities using material like this and adding some acrylic in it for banding and such. Here is a pen I made many years ago and is one of my desk pens and yes it may have a few scratches in it but still looks good. Just wanted to show you the finish I was talking about. Good luck as you go down this path.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0368.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0368.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 195

ramaroodle

So....... Is this made from an aluminum blank that has been drilled and a tube inserted?? How did you do it and what tools did you use? What is the process that you're not a fan of?

Looks great.

Darrin

Can we assume this is aluminum?? Looks like it turned out real nice. If it is aluminum, turns well with carbide tools but is chippy and does not come off in strings. Need to cover bed from bits getting into electronics and motors. I like to use 6061 grade. turns well. I also will use as a final finish to get a matted finish a non-woven pad. I believe this hides scratches better than a highly polished pen. But have done that too. Many possibilities using material like this and adding some acrylic in it for banding and such. Here is a pen I made many years ago and is one of my desk pens and yes it may have a few scratches in it but still looks good. Just wanted to show you the finish I was talking about. Good luck as you go down this path.
6061 indeed.
I sanded then put a ca finish on to keep the shine and avoid knicks and fingerprints.
Your pen looks great!

ramaroodle

So this starts in the form of a regular 3/4" x 5" blank of aluminum?? And where can you find this blank of 6061 (whatever that is)?

Darrin

So this starts in the form of a regular 3/4" x 5" blank of aluminum?? And where can you find this blank of 6061 (whatever that is)?
It's just a nasty and chippy material.
This particular pen started as a piece of 5/8. You can find it basically at any home improvement store or if your a machinist like I am in the scrap pile lol.

jttheclockman

6061 indeed.
I sanded then put a ca finish on to keep the shine and avoid knicks and fingerprints.
Your pen looks great!
I really do not believe you need CA on any metal pens. They are as tough as they will ever be. CA will not prevent dents, knicks or scratches on any pen material. All it does is add a shine and prevent dirt with wood pens. When I do brass bullet pens years ago I would powder coat them from turning tarnished. CA may do that also. I never tried that. When I buy bars and other metals I buy from here. Home Depot may carry larger stock. Not sure.

https://www.speedymetals.com/s-137-sheet.aspx

Top Bottom