That One Stubborn Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have a stubborn pen that I can not photograph for the life of me. I have tried inside, outside, different backdrops but can not do it justice. I tried a couple times to post but both times I deleted because you can not appreciate the beauty of the acrylic blank. It is an Omas silver blank that jumps at you. probably my all time favorite acrylic blank. I think I will keep trying to find that right combo. Any suggestions would be helpful It is a silver blank with lots of chatoyancy on a Venus silver kit with white crystals. Lots of glimmer. This is one pen that needs a pro to shoot. That I am surely not.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

What camera? Have an idea.
It is an older camera but has served me well. I will try a few things tomorrow both inside and out. The first thing is I will change that white background to my blue one and see what that does. Then I will try outdoor lighting and see what that does. May just have to sacrifice the photo just to show the pen. Will see.

Hippie3180

It is an older camera but has served me well. I will try a few things tomorrow both inside and out. The first thing is I will change that white background to my blue one and see what that does. Then I will try outdoor lighting and see what that does. May just have to sacrifice the photo just to show the pen. Will see.
When I use natural light I don't usually take photos in direct sun, for instance I have a small table set up in the garage. I open the garage door (leaving the table just inside the garage)for the most amount of light and typically wait until late afternoon, early evening for the light to be niceā€¦not too harsh.

If I do take a photo outside I find the light to best early in the day(morning)or late afternoon, early evening or golden hour. Direct sun can be too harsh and blow out your subject.

Also, if you have a phone it is very easy to get a nice image and edit using the tools your phone provides. The biggest thing I find is adjusting exposure optimally.

I hope these tips are helpful. šŸ˜€

jttheclockman

Thanks. I did the garage thing this past summer for things I put on FB marketplace and it was basically shade but outside light. So will try that. I tried the sun thing before with my scrollsaw work and that did not go well. No smart phone so can not do that. Just want to get a little better shot of the pen. The silver variances within the blank is stunning.

sorins

Would be very useful to post here your attempts, no matter how they are. and, if possible, the lights setup (if any). So, we can assess what's good or wrong and the possible issues.
In the mean time, you may want to have a look at this:
or this:
or any similar.

duncsuss

John - what is the model of camera you've been using? I don't want to start talking about functions that are not available.

I remember a couple of your pens were featured in the AAW magazine a few years ago - did you take those photos? They looked great.

jttheclockman

Oh my Goodness that was some time ago. I won a contest they had. The camera is a very old model but I have been using it for a long time. I am no photographer and do not play one on TV. Not into all the setting of white balance and shutter speeds. I am a point and shoot guy. The camera is a Pentax Optio MX4. I can get some decent photos that are good enough for showing pens and other work on forums like that. Not looking to start a web site or do any magazine work. The problem with this pen and I believe it is more the white background that is robbing the color look of the silver blank of the pen. It has so many variations of silver and a pearl silver look to it that is hard to capture. I will play around with a few things and see if it makes a difference. If not I may just show the photos I took with the same setup that I did my bog oak and seashell pens I recently shown here. Have a ton more pens to show over the rest of the summer. Thanks everyone.

bsshog40

Not sure if you have one but I bought me one of those plastic rings that people use to crochet with. I then bought me some diffuser paper and mounted it in the ring. Works well for diffusing the glare you get on a project with direct light.
20230723_102839.jpg

jttheclockman

OK after doing some experimenting I am giving up and will post this pen as I have a couple versions inside and out. As far as photo booths I do not believe in them any more. I have both my booths on FB right now and no one wants them. Have all the cloths and tried all that stuff. had lights made for them. Unless you have the time to play with camera settings and know what you are doing then it may work for you. I have a system that I set up a board and drape a white cloth over and use 2 camera lights to highlight. For forums they work just fine. The pen in question just blends too easily into white and I tried a blue background and it makes too dark. Not worth my trouble. I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. as I said enough time wasted on photos. Have way too many pens to get made. Thanks again.

jrista

I've spent a lot of time watching product photography videos on YT, in spurts over the last year or so. The main thing I've learned is that, a truly professional product photo...of ANYTHING, even (maybe especially) for a pro, is at a minimum hours worth of effort.

Some pros will sometimes spend a couple of days or so, to perfectly light an object and get that sublime shot. I thought it would be easy...and, I've been able to get some good shots...but, so far, i've not been able to get a single shot that I have truly been fully satisfied with... There is always something, just not the right highlights, not the right background, not the right illumination in general...

The tough thing is, to actually control light thouroughly enough to actually GET a truly professional product photo, you need to invest a heck of a lot of money in a heck of a lot of gear, then spend a heck of a lot of time and effort to learn how to control light... It is possible, but wow, is it truly a skill and a science! I've accumulated a decent pile of equipment now, including multiple light stands, BIG lights, small lights, BRIGHT lights, soft lights, colored lights, reflectors, diffusers, and a bunch of backdrop material. I've learned a little bit, and now I know just how far I am, from ever getting a shot I would truly be proud of, with all the right highlights, shadows and shading in all the right places.

I keep plugging away at it, but...I've settled into the knowledge that, its going to be years before I finally achieve my goal. :\

Top Bottom