SWWWEEEEEET!!! Delta 46-460

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

The stork arrived with my new baby... the Delta 46-460 VS 1 HP Midi Lathe. WOW!! Is this one swweeeeet machine!!

Solidly built. Beautifully machined ways. Excellent fit and finish. Spur center to live center point to point test... dead on.

Motor... unbelievable... quiet as a church mouse. Variable speed ramp up is smooth and true. Belt changes... Oh my God you are going to wish you had one of these once you see how simple it is. Reverse drive... runs just like forward. Well engineered safety mechanisms prevent flip flopping the forward and reverse drives.

This lathe is heavy. 15 or 20 pounds more than my mini. It is taller and has what looks to be a much higher quality casting. It is solid on the benchtop without even having any anti-skid pads under it.

The accessories are very well made especially the faceplate. The tool rests have both been smoothed on the top so there will be no catches as your tools run along the rest. Very nice spur and live centers.

She goes to work doing some turning tomorrow evening. But right now this machine is looking really SWEET!!! The guys at Rockler finally got one unpacked and on display and they were drooling over it. They are replacing all their Jet VS Minis that they use for turning classes with this Delta and they are excited and impatient as their shipment hasn't arrived yet. Poor darlings!!

When you all check this lathe out closely I expect to hear a lot of pen turners saying... "I gotta get me one of these!!"
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bree

Machine PIX coming team!
scimg4528.jpg

scimg4529.jpg

Don Gaiser

I got mine last month... beautiful machine.... still have not got to use it as all my $$$ went into buying the lathe.... wont have it paid off for another month... wife wont let me buy anything else until paid off... :) WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....
... man do I feel better after that ... well a little bit anyway :D

Bree

I got mine last month... beautiful machine.... still have not got to use it as all my $$$ went into buying the lathe.... wont have it paid off for another month... wife wont let me buy anything else until paid off... :) WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....
... man do I feel better after that ... well a little bit anyway :D

LOL!! I know EXACTLY what you mean Don!! I once bought an expensive 4-Runner so I could tow a boat I wanted with it but by the time I got done buying the 4-Runner I didn't have enough $$$ to buy the boat!!! Never did get that boat either.
:mad::mad::mad:

jdmyers4

Hey Bree, I'm in the market for a mini lathe. I was thinking about the Jet 1220vs, but now you got me thinking maybe I should get the Delta. Looks like a nice machine.

Keep us posted on how it operates! More pictures - please.

Bree

Hey Bree, I'm in the market for a mini lathe. I was thinking about the Jet 1220vs, but now you got me thinking maybe I should get the Delta. Looks like a nice machine.

Keep us posted on how it operates! More pictures - please.

I am going down to take some PIX now and I will post some up tomorrow to calm the sceptics!

I think this machine will kick the Jet 1220 VS's butt! And I have several pieces of Jet equipment which I am very happy with. But I think Delta caught Jet napping on this one.
:eek::eek::eek:

Bree

You wanted PIX... so you gets them!!

scimg4531.jpg

Front View w/6" Tool Rest
scimg4537.jpg

Rear View
scimg4532.jpg

Belt Access Front & Side (Front cover is strong plastic and side door is metal.)
scimg4533.jpg

Belt Loosened for Change
scimg4534.jpg

Belt Tightened after Change
scimg4535.jpg

Milling on the Ways
scimg4536.jpg

Controls (Flash has lightened the colors)

End of PIX Set #1
:bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051:

Bree

PIX Set #2

Here is the biggie... the point to point, headstock to tailstock alignment test.
scimg4539.jpg

Side View Alignment Test
scimg4541.jpg

Top View Alignment Test
scimg4542.jpg

Tail Fully Extended (Note scale)
scimg4543.jpg

Tailstock Extended Full View
scimg4544.jpg

Faceplate
scimg4547.jpg

12" Tool Rest
scimg4550.jpg

With My 9" Round Bar Tool Rest
scimg4548.jpg

Indexing Key (Photo is not rotated)
scimg4549.jpg

Speed Chart
scimg4551.jpg

Tail End Bed Extension Dock.

Will turn a pen on it tomorrow. Was too busy at work today.
:drink::drink::drink:

Bree

If there is anything else that you want a special picture of, just ask and I will snap a PIC for you. So far... the lathe has met or exceeded all my expectations... especially the alignment test. It blew away the Nova DVR that I had been considering. That is the biggest surprise of all because I would have expected exactly the opposite.
:cool::cool::cool:

bradh

Yes, please give us a review after you used it. I am in the market for a new lathe too and would be very interested in your opinions here.
I like the speed ranges and many of the other features I see here.

Bree

Turning report on 46-460

Turning report on 46-460

TURNS SLICKER than SPIT!!!

Nuf said. Have a tough to turn pen in finishing right now. Will post PIX when it is ready and assembled.

Fred

Bree, that does appear to be a very nice machine. I hope that you get many hours of "fun" at the controls. I'm definitely sure you will be as pleased as your write-up makes me feel you already are ... even though the "baby" seems to remain clean.

BTW, your attachment of the magnetic bowl to hold your wrench is a perfect solution to a timeless problem that many continue to suffer with daily. I noticed you still have your extendable magnetic pickup (priceless back saver tool) nearby as well.

Are the tail stock measurement markings etched into the metal or are they engraved?

Either way the machine appears to have many important features in place right out of the box. I especially would appreciate the presence of the indexing without an additional accessory plate. Nice to see Delta has included this feature built-in. :biggrin:

Jgrden

Say, seeing that picture of the new Delta reminds me of how much glue can build up on a lathe. I clean mine on occasion but what would I use to keep glue from making it look ugly??

Don't glue on the lathe - right?

Bree

Bree, that does appear to be a very nice machine. I hope that you get many hours of "fun" at the controls. I'm definitely sure you will be as pleased as your write-up makes me feel you already are ... even though the "baby" seems to remain clean.

BTW, your attachment of the magnetic bowl to hold your wrench is a perfect solution to a timeless problem that many continue to suffer with daily. I noticed you still have your extendable magnetic pickup (priceless back saver tool) nearby as well.

Are the tail stock measurement markings etched into the metal or are they engraved?

Either way the machine appears to have many important features in place right out of the box. I especially would appreciate the presence of the indexing without an additional accessory plate. Nice to see Delta has included this feature built-in. :biggrin:

The scale is probably etched as the numbers are "in" the metal but not as deeply as an engraving would be. They won't rub off.

Yeah... I have lots of magnets. I have tools hanging from the floor joists right above the lathe and on each side of it. 3/4" Neodymiums hold the tools tenaciously. Makes it easy to just reach up and grab a scissors, knife, or a tube inserter etc.

Easy way to attach little things like hex wrenches is to take a small neodymium magnet and just attach it to the side of the lathe and then plunk the hex wrench right on it. You just slide the tool off and the magnet stays where it is.
:wink::wink::wink:

tim self

OK, I think I've changed my mind about which lathe to upgrade to. The only ? I have is who is selling them besides MikesTools? 30 minute websearch failed to locate besides way over priced from Mikes.

Bree

I got mine from Rockler. I also got a good quote from Toolnut. Here is a repost from another thread.

got a quote back from Toolnut which was very good. Maybe you guys can save some $$$. Here it is:

Brianne that 46-460 is on promo at the moment for only $524.99! This is a limited time promotion so let me know if you are interested to ensure there are some still available.

Sean Ackerman
www.toolnut.com
914.621.0200 (w)
914.260.6762 (c)

GouletPens

Don't ya love that $55 Excess Weight charge and that is over and above ordinary shipping!
:curse::curse::curse:
By the way, nice hand truck!! I have that same one and man, I can't even count how many times I've used that thing.

Bree

By the way, nice hand truck!! I have that same one and man, I can't even count how many times I've used that thing.

We moved everything in this house with that hand truck and I mean everything! I think I bought it at Menards in Chicago.
:cool::cool::cool:

jimemac66

Has anyone purchased from Tool Nut?

I got mine from Rockler. I also got a good quote from Toolnut. Here is a repost from another thread.

got a quote back from Toolnut which was very good. Maybe you guys can save some $$$. Here it is:

Brianne that 46-460 is on promo at the moment for only $524.99! This is a limited time promotion so let me know if you are interested to ensure there are some still available.

Sean Ackerman
www.toolnut.com
914.621.0200 (w)
914.260.6762 (c)

Has anyone made any purchases from Tool Nut in NY? After reading Bree's post I requested a price quote from them on the Delta 46-460 and was quoted $521.99, which I consider an excellent price on the lathe. My problem is that I can't find any feedback on Tool Nut and I am a little reluctant to buy without knowing something about them. I appreciate any response.

Jim

Bree

Has anyone made any purchases from Tool Nut in NY? After reading Bree's post I requested a price quote from them on the Delta 46-460 and was quoted $521.99, which I consider an excellent price on the lathe. My problem is that I can't find any feedback on Tool Nut and I am a little reluctant to buy without knowing something about them. I appreciate any response.

Jim

Tell him Bree sent you and maybe he will trim a little more off the price!! Tell him I told you that he would trim a little extra!! LOL!! Not that he will or even that he will remember me but you know the saying... the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

jimemac66

Re: Tool Nut

Thank you folks very much. I have been looking at midi lathes for a month trying to figure out just what to buy. I had almost decided on the Jet 1220vs when I learned about the Delta 46-460. I know that one should not covet thy neighbors lathe, but I just can't help myself. Thanks for the info on Tool Nut.

Jim

Never raise your hand to a child....it exposes your groin.:bulgy-eyes:

Top Bottom