Suggestions for a black pen stock, not acrylic please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkEMark2

I want to make a high quality black pen, but not an acrylic high gloss finish. I was looking at Buffalo horn, as I thought perhaps I could turn it and finish with a satin wax, but was reading today on a thread here that many folks have had Buffalo horn pens crack... a lot. As I am looking to make high quality pens for sale (eventually) I don't want this to happen. Any suggestions for something else that would finish flat and be an elegant black stock?
Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Ebony wood. . There are some species that are almost solid black. . Pick your pieces to get solid color. . Messy to work with, however.

MRDucks2

Ebony wood. . There are some species that are almost solid black. . Pick your pieces to get solid color. . Messy to work with, however.
I have done a black ebony pen and it was not bad to turn (but the dust gets everywhere and is, well, black). The other consideration is that if you want it shiny, read up on how to get it there. I simply polished the wood and it has a nice matte black finish to it.

EricRN

If second ebonite and gaboon ebony. Ebonite polishes up nice. Not super shiny but with a very deep luster—kind of similar to Buffalo horn. Gaboon ebony is great to work with. It has a very dense grain and is very oily. I sanded it up to 600, then went through micro mesh. Gave it a real nice matte finish

jttheclockman

I have a Gabon Ebony blank I turned some time ago and hit it with satin lacquer. I need to make that into a pen one of these days. I like to work with Gabon Ebony. It is somewhat expensive but true black and the dust can be a problem with getting everywhere. Need to keep under control with clean ups.

dogcatcher

Birdseye maple dyed with Fiebings USMC black alcohol dye. Turn to size, dye with a Fiebings dark blue alcohol based dye, then sand, dye again with the blue, one more light sanding. Then use the USMC black dye. Light sand and finish of choice.

Bryguy

I love working with African Blackwood. Ebonite is great to work with too, but you either love or hate the smell!

leehljp

Member Liaison
As you have read this thread, it should be obvious that there are different kinds of ebonies and Blackwoods. Each have their own characteristics and are great to turn. One or two may be more brittle than others, some more oily that others and the oily ones shine up well with a satin sheen naturally. In general, the ebonies that I have used are sensitive to high heats such as being left in a hot car and may crack.

I have used African black wood, and an ebony that I forget its origin (Africa I think, but not "Black Wood") and two different persimmon ebonies - one group from Japan and one group from the Philippines.

WELCOME Mark!

Last edited:

zig613

Take a look at Trustone. It comes in "jet black". Being a manufactured product it would provide you with a consistent black colour through the blank that you may not get with some woods. I think you can find it at Bear Tooth Woods and Exotics.

Charlie_W

Not a pen but it is black. Is it ebony or Blackwood? Nope, cherry with black India ink!

B23F8700-A4E9-4496-85FA-2CEBA300D294.jpeg
92DD9B1E-4D3F-4EB1-B31B-19B1850FC493.jpeg

Top Bottom