Wood Identification Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

Hello,

I am hoping to get some help identifying a blank if possible. I usually keep track of my blanks, but I am pretty sure it was a freebie from an order on here. Picture below of the blank, while turning, and finished. I noticed some reddish/purple swirls while turning. Thanks!
woodid.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

was it a challenge to turn with lots of fracture unless tools razor sharp? I too have some very similar chunks I acquired and am trying to identify. Grain direction in the bits I've got is all over but it's NOT a burr or burl . Very hard, heavy timber and a real challenge to get a finish from the tool. Sands up ok but where's the fun in that !

These bits originated in India but no clue as to timber. Colouring identical to yours and similar grain structure I think

magpens

Well, one thing is certain .... the wood shows well on that Blade pen kit !! . Nicely done !!

hooked

Thanks for all the responses! I really liked the way it turned out. Easy to work with and lots of little details in the wood to make it interesting. I was asking so I can try to find some more.

Dehn0045 - Thank you! I do see some blanks on ETSY of figured canarywood that look very similar.

Howsitwork - It was surprisingly easy to turn. I expected chips since the blank itself had some surface cracks that I had to fill with CA. I did put on a new carbide cutter right before, so that may have helped as well.

Magpens - Thank you for the compliment! I really appreciate it. I love the Blade kit. It is my new favorite.

Robutacion - There were no identifying marks on the blank. I only have one, which is why I think it came as a freebie. Usually, I buy 4-5 of a type, tape, and label them.
[h4][/h4]Thanks again all!

Top Bottom