Strobe Light Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

I have an interest in setting up a strobe light on my lathe. I have read the pros and cons and would like to try it on a limited basis on some winged bowls.

I know just enough about electricity and electronics to be dangerous to myself. Can anyone recommend a fairly easy to make a set-up and where to get the components for this kind of project. I have a variety of magnets and reed switches to use as a trigger. All of the strobes that I found are lacking any type of an input for a trigger. All have some type of built-in flash generator.

I have tried using LEDs. They do function, but are way too dim and directional to be of any real use.

PS. I did a search of this site and found a lot of information about strobes, but nothing about the actual components or where to get them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

So, do you want to trigger the flash every time your lathe chuck rotates ?

If you are running at 1000 rpm, there would be 1000 flashes per minute ? . Or would you incorporate an electronic counter and flash only once for every 10 rotations, say ?

Remember the automotive timing lights ? What mechanism did they use to trigger the light to flash ?

Here's a search I did that turned up some circuit diagrams:

https://www.google.ca/search?newwin....14.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..18.5.977._omR0-FM0Zk

Last edited:

Russ Hewitt

If you are running at 1000 rpm, there would be 1000 flashes per minute ? . Or would you incorporate an electronic counter and flash only once for every 10 rotations, say ?

Remember the automotive timing lights ? What mechanism did they use to trigger the light to flash ?

https://www.google.ca/search?newwin....14.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..18.5.977._omR0-FM0Zk

It would not have to be the exact count, just some divisor of the RPM total to freeze the action. I don't know how to design a circuit/algorithm to flash at less than the actual RPM, that I can trigger with a magnet and reed switch. That is if they will even cycle fast enough.

Last edited:

Jack Parker

Most of the automotive timing lights that I am familiar with used an inductive pickup that was clamped over one of the spark plug wires (usually #1) that triggered a xenon flash.

KenV

Russell -- the easiest way to use this in a "limited manner" is to use the simple way of getting a low cost strobe with a knob that controls the rate of flash.

In use the strobe is adjusted to "stop" the wing where you want it - as you turn the know the appearance can advance or drop back as you wish --

Used to do this with stuff in physics class --

If the idea works for you, then head to the more elaborate controls -- but you will likely still need a knob for fine tuning.

magpens

Ken ... I had forgotten about the strobe lights we used in Physics labs ... adjustable flash rate ... thanks for mentioning !!

Russ ... for component purchasing ... I would google for an online electronic components supply company. I don't know of one but they must exist.

I just did a google search for - electronic components pasadena -

https://www.google.ca/search?newwin...25.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..0.32.2557.BRB-2beTLJ8

Russ Hewitt

I had thought about using a simple strobe with an adjustable flash rate, but I don't think it would work. If you set the rate with the lathe spinning free, as soon as you put a tool to wood, the speed is likely to change and then it would fall out of synchronization. They aren't too expensive, so I may try anyway.

Top Bottom