Start of my first practice bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Skie_M

These chisels with the "swept back wings" and "irish grind" ... would they also be termed an Ellsworth Grind bowl gouge?

I get my chisels from Harbor Freight. 18 bucks .... extremely poor workmanship, but there's nothing wrong with the steel. They come out of the box pretty much blunt enough to bruise someone if it landed on their foot, but not cut them. (yeah, that bad)

The lighter side of the equation is ... at least you'll learn how to sharpen your tools! =D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

These chisels with the "swept back wings" and "irish grind" ... would they also be termed an Ellsworth Grind bowl gouge?

I get my chisels from Harbor Freight. 18 bucks .... extremely poor workmanship, but there's nothing wrong with the steel. They come out of the box pretty much blunt enough to bruise someone if it landed on their foot, but not cut them. (yeah, that bad)

The lighter side of the equation is ... at least you'll learn how to sharpen your tools! =D
"swept back wings" "Irish grind" and "Ellsworth grind" are all basically the same thing.

edstreet

Overall the biggest difference is the angle.

attachment.php

This is the ones I use.

attachment.php

I use this irish grind, it's 1/2" for more detailed delicate work, sharper angle and highly aggressive.
attachment.php

Attachments

• grinds.jpg
    grinds.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 143
  • irish-grind.jpg
    irish-grind.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 148
  • gs.gif
    gs.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 142

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I found the source of the chatter and hard cutting....please don't let this get out...I somehow switch my lathe in to reverse

Charlie_W

edstreet I like the look if that bowl and the tools you had the link for I think I'll give that a try on another bowl. Oh thanks for the nice comment.
I have a question as I get set to turn the inside of the bowl. What would be a good caliper to use to keep the sides of the bowl uniform.

Dan, here is a basic calipers that works well for bowls.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 63

edstreet

edstreet I like the look if that bowl and the tools you had the link for I think I'll give that a try on another bowl. Oh thanks for the nice comment.
I have a question as I get set to turn the inside of the bowl. What would be a good caliper to use to keep the sides of the bowl uniform.

Dan, here is a basic calipers that works well for bowls.

I do have one of those. It does come in handy in a few cases however it is very small and not suitable for any decent size bowl, especially for the bottom. For this reason I posted and suggest the big red one be used. It offers more room than needed so you will never find a case where it will not work on the lathe he is using.

Top Bottom