Sourcing Desert Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

I have gotten some really nice Desert Ironwood blanks from Joe Schneider in the past....Wood128 here on IAP.

Take care.

KenB259

I rarely buy pen by blanks, prefer to cut my own, what I can't get locally, I purchase from Cook Woods.

EricRN

I've bought from Sonora and was happy with what I got. Stuff stinks when you turn it though.

derekdd

I rarely buy pen by blanks, prefer to cut my own, what I can't get locally, I purchase from Cook Woods.
Me, too. I just catch'em on sale and often use their reward program to help knock the price down a bit more.

I have a small ironwood board from Cook patiently awaiting my attention. Thing is, I have so many exotic blanks already laying around I need to sell more before cutting more.

egnald

I've bought a bunch of Sonoran Desert Ironwood from Bill DeJarnette at Rio Rico Marketplace LLC. You can see some of his stuff at Bestironwood.com.

They have always been straight shooters with me and point out any flaws if what they are selling have any cracks or other blemishes. I have never bought anything from them less than their Grade A though which has always been very high quality. I think their prices are reasonable too. Anyhow, I just thought I would share in case you want to give them a look.

Regards,
Dave

PS Here are a few pens I made with their product:

IMG_3679 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3640 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3295 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1982 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1698 Straightened and Cropped.jpg

RDHals

I've bought a bunch of Sonoran Desert Ironwood from Bill DeJarnette at Rio Rico Marketplace LLC. You can see some of his stuff at Bestironwood.com.

They have always been straight shooters with me and point out any flaws if what they are selling have any cracks or other blemishes. I have never bought anything from them less than their Grade A though which has always been very high quality. I think their prices are reasonable too. Anyhow, I just thought I would share in case you want to give them a look.

Regards,
Dave
I second what Dave said, I recently found these guys and made a purchase. I couldn't be happier with the results. Beautiful wood, no cracks, blemishes or anything. The quality is outstanding. Bestironwood.com.

Attachments

• DKR3s.jpg
    DKR3s.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DKR3Es.jpg
    DKR3Es.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 44

sorcerertd

Thanks for the replies. I almost bought some on Etsy before asking here. It turns out that Etsy seller is none other than William DeJarnette, the owner of bestironwood.com. It is certainly cheaper for both he and I to not do business on Etsy and his prices are pretty good to begin with. I'll get a batch and get busy.

As for Cook, I've been to the site quite a few times, but haven't made any purchases just yet. They have a huge variety of wood there!

Try Griffen exotic Woods - https://www.exoticwood.biz/
You can't go wrong with this guy - I have bought Fromm him for several years - always good service and excellent blanks.
I have purchased from there before and certainly recommend shopping with them. It was the only place I've ever seen Bois D'Rose available.

I've bought from Sonora and was happy with what I got. Stuff stinks when you turn it though.
I guess I'll see what it smells like soon enough and will keep their shop in mind, too.

egnald

I have purchased from there before and certainly recommend shopping with them. It was the only place I've ever seen Bois D'Rose available.
I bought a bunch of Bois de Rose pen blanks quite a few years ago. I haven't turned many of them though. Some of the ones I have have turned really-really dark just sitting on the shelf but they might brighten up when I turn off some of the outer wood. I think it was on the CITES list or was at least export restricted from Madagascar far before it became part of the CITES restriction on all Dalbergia species rosewoods. It is also on the IUCN Red List. I guess it makes sense when there is such a gorgeous species that can only be found in a small strip of costal forest on a tiny African island like Madagascar. - Dave

Top Bottom