Decals on wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

Can you do water slip decals on wood?My thought was to seal the wood with a coat or two of CA. Put on the decal then cover with CA to protect the decal. What is the likelihood of this working?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

It will work. I did the same with custom fishing rods. Apply the decal to the graphite blank, cover with epoxy. Just be careful of the CA over the decal.

JohnU

Make sure you apply a CA finish to the wood and finish it like you would a complete CA finish. Then apply your decal and reapply several layers of medium ca over it. Medium won't harm the decal. This will help make the decal edges more invisible. Any scratches or imperfections under the decal will be visible when done which is why a nice CA finish is best under them. Also, make sure to spray a sealer on your printed decal and let it dry/cure a day before using. Use plenty of water or decal set in the application so there are no air pockets visible when done. They will appear as shiny spots when done.

sorcerertd

I'm working on doing that myself, and learning along the way. I started with a test piece of wood and highly recommend doing the same to get a feel for it. Finishing? I'm not there yet, but I'll definitely take John U's advice when I get to that step.

wouldentu2?

If you don't use CA under a decal and any part of the decal is clear it will be very noticeable. That way the wood under the decal will get dark and match the wood surrounding the decal. I do several coats and polish it before applying the decal.

Bope

Make sure you apply a CA finish to the wood and finish it like you would a complete CA finish. Then apply your decal and reapply several layers of medium ca over it. Medium won't harm the decal. This will help make the decal edges more invisible. Any scratches or imperfections under the decal will be visible when done which is why a nice CA finish is best under them. Also, make sure to spray a sealer on your printed decal and let it dry/cure a day before using. Use plenty of water or decal set in the application so there are no air pockets visible when done. They will appear as shiny spots when done.
John, what kind of sealer are you talking about? I will be using a laser printer not an ink jet if that makes a difference.

JohnU

Testors sells a decal sealer with their waterslide paper. I've used krylon clear coat with success. I print the labels, let them dry a day, then apply 3 light coats of clear spray and let it dry a day before applying. A sealer will make sure your print doesn't smear or distort in water. I use medium CA over them do it doesn't smear them. I apply the first coat in one swipe and let it dry. If you go over it again before it cures you risk smearing her print. Best of luck. It's not hard once you've done one.

Darios

Testors sells a decal sealer with their waterslide paper. I've used krylon clear coat with success. I print the labels, let them dry a day, then apply 3 light coats of clear spray and let it dry a day before applying. A sealer will make sure your print doesn't smear or distort in water. I use medium CA over them do it doesn't smear them. I apply the first coat in one swipe and let it dry. If you go over it again before it cures you risk smearing her print. Best of luck. It's not hard once you've done on?

glosscote or dullcote?

Top Bottom