Soapstone and Brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from icebiker

icebiker

I know these aren't the most beautiful photos - but I thought I'd upload them anyway in case others are curious. I turned two slimlines as part of a gift (the third will be Walnut, and all three will go in a homemade walnut pen stand which will hold them vertically). You can see a couple videos here to get an idea of all sides.

The first is out of brass, and let me tell you it is a lot harder turning brass on a wood lathe than on a metal lathe (which sadly I no longer have access to).

The second is out of soapstone which is very easy to turn, but requires a good mask, ventilation, a very gentle touch, and you need to end it way thicker than otherwise because the material is so delicate - hence the thicc pen.

Happy turning everyone :)

IMG_1513.jpeg
IMG_1502.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

Both pens look nice! That brass must be hard turning it in a wood lathe. Interesting colors on that soapstone. How is the durability on the soapstone?

icebiker

Soapstone is extremely soft - as in, you can put marks in it with your nails. I finished this with a number of coats of CA with the hope that it will add durability - time will tell. To be honest, I expect that it will be more for show than to be used, based on the material and the person I am giving this to.

The brass is unfinished, so I'll either polish it up every now and then for the recipient, or let it develop a patina if they want! The brass one and the eventual Walnut one will likely see more use.

I'll post a photo of all three in their stand when done :)

Darios

Of course, I have to ask. Is that ketchup in the first pic? If so, how is it as a finish? :p

icebiker

Of course, I have to ask. Is that ketchup in the first pic? If so, how is it as a finish? :p
You don't get hungry for a mid-turning snack?

The worst part is I literally just built this bench a week ago and somehow everything in my house is already on it. Sigh. I guess I need a second one.

Top Bottom