Snakeskin Casting Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimBobTucson

I'm pretty sure this issue has been addressed before, but I can not find any discussion on it anywhere.

I recently bought some rattle snake skins from someone off eBay (since my original source no long sells them. I casted a batch of blanks in my usual manner.
1. Wiped down with alcohol
2. CAed to tubes
3. Placed in silicone molds
4. Degassed alumilite (vibration technic)
5. Poured the castings
6. Let cure under pressure (40 to 45lbs)

The castings came out the pot flawless, but after about 12 hours, they all developed a silvery sheen. The sheen does not appear to be bubbles, but I do think it is air/gas. (sorry, I could not get a good picture of it)

I suspected it was something to do with the skin, and not my technic (not that I am above making a mistake :D). I casted two more blanks, one with the new skin, and one with some old skin I still had left over. After casting, they both looked perfect, but again after about 12 hours, the one with the new skin had the same sheen on the surface on the skin. The blank with my old skin is still perfect.

OK, so what is wrong with the skin I'm using? I'm sure it is something to do with the way it was tanned, but I do not know anything about this process. Can it be fixed or "re-tanned"? Is there any way to identify "bad skin" before it is casted.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimBobTucson

Dustin,

Yes, thanks... This is the exact same problem that Bruce was having (see pictures from his post).

After reading Bruce's entire thread, I am pretty sure the problem is caused by either improperly tanning or the type of tanning that was used. I'm guessing there is still some water or tanning reagents in the skin that reacts to the Alumlite as it cures. Is there anyone out there with tanning experience that could help out here?

rhahnfl

I'm of the opinion that it has to do with moisture. I got a little sloppy while wet sanding a snake blank...too much water on the paper and sanding pads and I'm certain some water water was wicked into the skin from the ends. I watched it do that silver thing and it crept in from both ends. As soon as I can get my vacuum pot together I'm going to vacuum it and see if I can't restore it. Will post if successful. BTW... the other blanks that I have not turned/finished have not yet gone silver.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Try painting one with thin CA before you cast. I form a puddle of CA on some aluminum foil, dip the side of a nail in it and slowly paint the entire skin with CA. There may be easier ways to do it, but that's what I do. The CA should bond well to the skin and either PR or alumilite should bond to the CA.

bruce119

I just stumbled in I haven't been too active on the forums lately.

Boy snake skins bin there done that. [:0]

What I did to get rid of the slivery shine reaction. Was to soak the skins in denatured alcohol for a few hours (not over night they will dry too much) then wipe them down again with alcohol. Then CA them to the tube and cast. That fixed the Reaction problem.

BUT BUT BUT

There is another problem you should be aware of. And I think it has to do with Alumilite. This is my opinion Alumilite is softer easer to turn. One of the advantages but I discovered and you should experiment and try this yourself before doing a lot like I did.

When the finished blank (It looks great) is locked up on a mandrel if there is too much pressure (it doesn't take much) a separation accrues. It also happens some times when pressing in the parts if they are a tight fit. What I believe is happening is the resin is flexing and it separates from the skin on the ends causing an ugly foggy appearance that can not be fixed. I know BEWARE.

I had many discussions on correcting this and I haven't work on them since. But I believe Alumilte mite not be a good choice for the rattlesnake skins. Oh and the guy you bought your skins from Steve, The Snake Den. His skins are nice but they have a moist greasy feel but the alcohol fixed that.

Well that's my story I still have quite a few skins left and will make some more again when I work up the nerve. I know why they are so expensive now.

Good Luck
Bruce

JimBobTucson

Bruce,

Thanks for your input here...

Yes, I have seen the seperation issue as well. The sad part about this whole adventure is, I went to the Alumlite product in hopes of elliminating it from my PR castings. So switching to PR will not solve that problem either. What I started doing was to sanding down the fittings just enough to where they can be fitted in without having to use a press. Then just CA them into place. I'm not sure it is the best solution, but it has worked so far.

Do you happen to know if the Snake Den even sells skins anymore? Steve has not replied to any of my emails, the website does not list them anymore. This is why I had to purchase a few skins off eBay, as much as I hate doing so. I did get some good deals, but the quality of the tanning is questionable.

Is anyone aware of any other source(s) for good quality skins?

bitshird

Originally posted by JimBobTucson

Do you happen to know if the Snake Den even sells skins anymore? Steve has not replied to any of my emails, the website does not list them anymore. This is why I had to purchase a few skins off eBay, as much as I hate doing so. I did get some good deals, but the quality of the tanning is questionable.

Is anyone aware of any other source(s) for good quality skins?
I've tried contacting him through eBay and his web site to no avail, I don't think he is doing much more than selling off remaining things he's had

bruce119

When I spoke with Steve (The Snake Den) and purchased my skins he said at that time he was stopping and not going to contiune tanning skins. Due to a crippling disabilty he suffers from that is progressing and making it very difficult for him to work. He seems to be quite depresed over it. But seems to have a strong will. We had several conversations. I think I was one of a few of the last large orders he did. His site describes his disabilty. I is quite sad.

I did purchase a large order everything he had at the time. I will try and cast a few agian in the fucthure when I work out some of the issues I had. If I decide not to make blanks I could sell off the skins. BUT I'm not ready to sell then yet. I would like to try and cast some more. I think I mite try slimar polyester and NOT use Alumilte.

Bruce

Jarheaded

Bruce, Let me know when you go to sell them. I have a son that wants to decorate his bedroom walls with snake skins. It will keep his brother out and that is his reasoning for it.

Top Bottom