ServicePens 2013

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Ladies and Gentlemen, and the rest of us too. :wink:

ServicePens 2012, http://www.penturners.org/forum/f70/servicepens-pens-servicemen-65833/ is complete.
It's now time to focus on what we'll accomplish for 2013.

The pen donations to our servicemen and women for this event will occur June 2013 in Chicago.

This year, IAP members contributed roughly 400 pens produced by 28 individuals and
the Killeen, TX Lions Club including kit donations.

The previous thread had more than 14,000 views.
If 1/10 of those views were unique individuals and each sent just one pen, we could donate 1400 pens.
I'm asking for more participation.
I would like to have a much higher contribution rate than 2012.
Our Servicemen and women deserve it.

During the upcoming year:
  • I'm going to offer pen blanks free (for the cost to mail them) to those who will commit to making a pen for our servicemen and women.
  • I'm going to sell pen blanks to others at a low rate and all proceeds above my cost to deliver them will be used to obtain kits for individuals who can't afford to buy kits on their own yet will use those kits to donate to the ServicePens 2013 program.
  • I'm going to seek out more volunteer participants to help me grow this program.
I look forward to your particpation, your thoughts on ways to increase participation, and your pens for our Servicemen and women.

Thank you.
Gary

Jarod888

I will commit to at least 25. I will make them throughout the rest of this year and up until May of 2013. I will send them in bundles when I get a chance.

I also have quite a few generic blanks:
American Black Cherry
Oak
Walnut
Hickory

Once I gather up enough for my contribution, I will gladly donate blanks to folks who are willing to pick up the shipping, as long as the blanks are used for the ServicePens 2013 Project. I will post later on when I have everything sorted out.

As Capn Eddie says, "Makin' shavings for a good cause".

Last edited by a moderator:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here's the deal

I will commit to providing 100 free creekline pen kits (max of 10 to one individual) to people who will commit to providing pens at this site and can't afford to buy the kits. I will also commit to providing 200 Creekline kits at my cost, I will take zero markup to people who can afford to pay for them. In both cases I will bear the cost of shipping first class mail.

Sorry to my north of the border friends due to postage costs this is USA only.

If you want to get in on this. Post here committing to provide pens for the military folks in this program. Then send me a private message and I will tell you how to order the kits.

Jim Burr

Banned
I have blanks up the yazoo!!! PM me for what you want. Smitty...I need kits...Slims of whatever with bushings. To cough it up...I sent 15 to Ft Lee, Va for my son LCpl John Burr, USMC to hand out. His was a really cool camo Sierra that he does push-ups to keep...according to his Lt!! I need to work on one for him. I have 6 now and tons of blanks drilled for 7mm. Let's do this!!

Hula daddy

I will commit to 10 for know. But I will shoot another 10 after that and maybe more after that. I have plenty of blanks for such a good cause.

Smitty a PM coming your way

Brian

keithlong

Let me jump on this wagon and commit to do some. I will buy the kits from smitty and get them made. I have doing troop pens once a month with the woodchippers on the arsenal for over a year now. I really enjoy turning with this fine group of men.

I can do at least 15. I can get the blanks here or offline somewhere but where do I get the kits and what kind 7mm or 8mm. Please let me know. When is the due date when do I have to have them in.

Last edited:

GaryMGg

Levi,

You can order kits from Smitty; see his post above: http://www.penturners.org/forum/1416263-post4.html

The pens should be delivered to me at:

ServicePens
c/o Gary Greenberg
275 W. Laila Drive
W. Melbourne, FL 32904

The sooner I have them the better as it makes managing the process easier.
The pens will be delivered in June 2013. As soon as I have firm dates, I'll let everyone know.
Any pens received later than the required delivery date will be used for ServicePens 2014 --that's a long way off.

Thank you,
Gary

NYWoodturner

Gary - I will commit to 10 by the end of July. I will then look at the next commitment. I will commit to quarterly action. Since we are early on in the 2013 challenge - would it be possible to keep us posted with a "Scoreboard" of sorts with a running tally of how many are committed vs shipped? The reason I ask is that I have always found that "what gets measured gets fixed" Just a thought.
Scott

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Gary, i'll commit to 10, but it's likely to be alot more. Is it ok to use acrylic blanks?

GaryMGg

[Scott,

"what gets measured gets fixed"

That's a great idea. I fully intend to do a running tally.
It's one of the reasons I'm trying to get started early this year.

Thanks again everyone for the early commitments.
I'm grateful for all your support.

Happy Fourth of July.

GaryMGg

Gary, i'll commit to 10, but it's likely to be alot more. Is it ok to use acrylic blanks?

Acrylic, pine cones, worthless wood, custom castings, plain wood, burls, PR, blue jeans, watches, circuit boards, kitless pens...the list is practically endless.
Short answer: Absolutely :biggrin:

Thank you Ernie.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Some still remain

I still have 10 free Creekline kits to give out and about 250 available at $16.50 for 10. Bushings are only $2.50 but if you have both Streamline and Euro or Desiger bushings you don't need a set.

A number of people indicated they wanted to buy at the reduced price but have not done so yet. If you want them just go to the store and buy. I will refund the difference. I do not send any solicitations to store customers so you won't be bothered by emails (except order and shipping confirmations) from me if you buy there.

Jim Burr

Banned
Remember, if anyone needs blanks, please ask!!! I have lots and would rather you ask than a Soldier go without a pen. It's not a handout...it's a gift!:biggrin:

carpblaster

Thanks to Smitty for the pens, just picked up a bunch of blanks from Firewhatfire,so im in business now i know it will be more than 10 again .like the spread sheet we can get it done early and hopefully have lot , since so many are helping us that cant afford to buy everything, I am gratefully giving my thanks to all who are helping
Rodney
carpblaster

GaryMGg

2013 is off and running: I received 10 pens from RKent for our servicemen and women.
Thank you Reagan.

New viewer to this thread? What's your commitment? :biggrin:

plantman

:confused::confused: Gary: Being new to this, I have several guestions. In what manner are the pens distributed and to whom? Are they put into pen boxes, sleeves, or sent in bulk in bubble wrap? If I am going to make a pen for someone I do not know and they do not know me, but are willing to give up thier life so mine can stay free and safe. I want that pen and package to be something to remember.
I would be willing to volunteer to help you in any way I can. If some members want to send me pen kits or spare blanks, I will put them together and add thier names to the finished products. I will start with a commitment of at least 30 units from my personal collection. Jim S plantman7720@aol.com

Top Bottom