Segmenting- sort of

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I got this blank at the Georgia symposium in September. I drilled and installed tubes in blanks for Slim Line pens. When I got ready to put them on the pen mill, I saw that the end of one of the blanks had a rough finish with a pocket of nothingness. Should have inspected it and trimmed it. I fussed and fumed about how to salvage this blank. I finally figured out a way- trim the bad end off and put something that will match or contrast. I have made a pen with pink and kept the extra cut off section. Doing this with all cut off pieces now. I put the blank on the lathe and turned the bad end down with a 1/4 inch parting tool. Fitting the pink part showed a gap as it would not seat properly. I recalled a video on the skew that showed using the toe to lightly inlet the end of a blank. It worked! Any way, last night I glued the pink piece on with Two Ton epoxy. I used it for building golf clubs so it will take a lot of punishment. I let it set overnight and squared the end on the pen mill this morning. So far, so good. Now to finish turning it and see what the end result looks like. C & C welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20171124_072021751.jpg
    IMG_20171124_072021751.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 315
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Thanks. These holiday pens have been a real learning experience. Synthetics turn real slow as I don't want mess them up. Wood turns fast so I don't want to turn off too much. Got some scrap hardwood for practice. Wife and I saw some pens that were segmented, turned to different contours, two different woods or synthetics on the pen, etc. SWMBO is after me to try some of similar pens.

You've discovered what is called an "oops band" here. Nice job saving the blank.
And yes, it will look great when finished. Everyone will think you planned it that way.

Beautys_Beast

I always use a "separator" when I do a band. A piece of thin material, like aluminium, or brass, a piece of old gift card, or even a piece of very thin laminate. Something that distracts from the glue line. I don't care for the look of two pieces just glued together, without something in between. I believe it has more to do with my inability to glue two pieces together tightly than anything else.

Here is an example of one of a couple of my "oops bands"

Attachments

• Traditional (F) Walnut Burl.jpg
    Traditional (F) Walnut Burl.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 269
  • segmented 2.jpg
    segmented 2.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 250
Top Bottom