Segmenting and V cut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am wondering if someone might be able to assist me or direct me to how I can create this type of cut. A v cut in a pen blank. Photo Attached is not mine. I have tried to search and not sure how to accomplish this type of cut. I have tried to free hand it but it fails each time lol

Thanks in advanced
Steve

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 10.35.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 10.35.09 AM.png
    347.9 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - There are probably much better ways, but my approach to this would be to use a table saw sled with a positive stop for positioning the blank and the saw blade set at 45-degrees with a meticulously set blade height as to 1/2 of the blank thickness (would probably require some scrap and trial cuts to get the depth just perfect). Then cut 1/2 way through, flip the blank and cut the other 1/2 the way through for each "V" cut. - Regards, Dave

jttheclockman

Can be done with tablesaw but you need to stand the block on edge or the undercut from the blade will ruin it. The way most people do this is with a bandsaw and a jig set at whatever degrees you choose.

Mikespenturning was doing these many years ago and I will see if I can find his jig.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Best method depends on the tools that you have. Should be achievable by hand, but this will probably require a little more technique. You could look up techniques for hand cutting joinery (typically using hand saws and chisels). I would use either a table saw or bandsaw with a sled as already suggested, but I have both tools (sleds are your friend). Your method of gluing might also be important, I would suggest titebond 2 or 3 for wood-wood, and epoxy for others (CA will work, and is fast, but the joint is rather brittle and more prone to failure)

Can be done with tablesaw but you need to stand the block on edge or the undercut from the blade will ruin it. The way most people do this is with a bandsaw and a jig set at whatever degrees you choose.

Mikespenturning was doing these many years ago and I will see if I can find his jig.
thanks that would be great. My thought with a table saw is very hard and dangerous but I have a band saw just need to see how to do the jig portion

leehljp

Member Liaison
I do not know if you have a router table or not, but I do (I have two and one has two routers mounted under the table). I am including links to router bits that will make perfect angle cuts, but you will need a solid router table and a clamping sled to cut these. I am including some links below. Not linked is the fact that Amana makes some that are in the $150 category, but those below might do, particularly the Whiteside. IF you are not fully experienced with repeatable precise/precision angle cuts on a table saw or band saw, it might be elusive to you, and your alternative to that will be router bits, but they do require SECURE clamping sled and some practice cuts before you make cuts like that on blanks.

Best method depends on the tools that you have. Should be achievable by hand, but this will probably require a little more technique. You could look up techniques for hand cutting joinery (typically using hand saws and chisels). I would use either a table saw or bandsaw with a sled as already suggested, but I have both tools (sleds are your friend). Your method of gluing might also be important, I would suggest titebond 2 or 3 for wood-wood, and epoxy for others (CA will work, and is fast, but the joint is rather brittle and more prone to failure)
yes thank you. Looking for a jig that I could use and set up on my band saw. If you can buy it I have almost every tool in a wood shop. but my inexperience in pen making makes it teh challenge as I am not sure what jig or sled to make and how it works

I do not know if you have a router table or not, but I do (I have two and one has two routers mounted under the table). I am including links to router bits that will make perfect angle cuts, but you will need a solid router table and a clamping sled to cut these. I am including some links below. Not linked is the fact that Amana makes some that are in the $150 category, but those below might do, particularly the Whiteside. IF you are not fully experienced with repeatable precise/precision angle cuts on a table saw or band saw, it might be elusive to you, and your alternative to that will be router bits, but they do require SECURE clamping sled and some practice cuts before you make cuts like that on blanks.

Love this idea and yes I have a few of router tables

Dehn0045

For the table saw, I would use a crosscut style sled with an angle piece along the rear fence. Using a stop to position. You could also make a dedicated sled using a tilted blade (use thin plywood for the bottom of the sled as blade height will become an issue at 45 degree tilt.

Bandsaw sled is similar but will require a stop positioned at the back of the table to prevent you from cutting past halfway.

There are so many possibilities, it doesn't make sense posting up just one or two. Do some searching, watch some YouTube videos and figure out what works for you. Don't try it is it doesn't feel safe!

jttheclockman

thanks that would be great. My thought with a table saw is very hard and dangerous but I have a band saw just need to see how to do the jig portion
Steve it really is not hard to do but you need repeatability. Now I will see if I can find the article or thread he talked about this but here is a link to his album and he shows his jig there. Mike was one of the first people here that helped me get the Segmenting forum up and running because he showed the same interest I had. He even started the thread and again I say this, that it should be stickied or pasted as a subforum, No comments just photos of segmented pens. You can look for that one in the segmenting forum

I even thought that was his photos you shown as an example and sure enough they are in his album.

https://www.penturners.org/media/users/mikespenturningz.15324/page-2

I agree look at utube for bandsaw sleds and adapt something that will work for you. Just need to be able to hold the blank on the angle you want and then a stop block. to control depth of cut but the bandsaw is the easiest way to cut those. So many sled ideas out there.

Last edited:
Steve it really is not hard to do but you need repeatability. Now I will see if I can find the article or thread he talked about this but here is a link to his album and he shows his jig there. Mike was one of the first people here that helped me get the Segmenting forum up and running because he showed the same interest I had. He even started the thread and again I say this, that it should be stickied or pasted as a subforum, No comments just photos of segmented pens. You can look for that one in the segmenting forum

I even thought that was his photos you shown as an example and sure enough they are in his album.

https://www.penturners.org/media/users/mikespenturningz.15324/page-2

I agree look at utube for bandsaw sleds and adapt something that will work for you. Just need to be able to hold the blank on the angle you want and then a stop block. to control depth of cut but the bandsaw is the easiest way to cut those. So many sled ideas out there.
Thank you. Ill look I have tried and not been very successful but that could be my limited thought process. Appreciate your feedback

leehljp

Member Liaison
Love this idea and yes I have a few of router tables
There are times that if I am not doing 2x4 sizes, but anything 3/4 inch thick or less, that I will use the router bits for forming the precise angle cuts. I have a complete set of chamfer bits and they do far more precise than I can get on a repeating basis setting my TS.

I am having difficulty finding the GOOD bits that I usually order. It seems like the Yonico brand of bits has taken over in searches of the good brand names.

Top Bottom