Another Great Segmenting Aid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Picked up this center finding ruler from Woodpeckers with my last order. I have one already but it's twelve inches long and gets kind of clunky for pen blanks. This one is 6 inches long and is perfect. Only $13.00 dollars, not bad, as their tools are built very well. The only funny thing. To me It looks like the printing of the scale type looks backwards.
Image1604260198.726788.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app no

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great price for anything Woodpecker. I have numerous Incra rules and quite a few steel precision measuring rules. I can't have too many.

Oh, and I have a couple of center finder rules too. VERY helpful.

howsitwork

Yes Ken but when you read the title for centre scale the figures are the right way up for that scale and vice versa assuming you hold it by the bar in the middle you use the scale above your fingers

magpens

Yes but the side that says center is on the standard side and vice versa ....

I am with you when you said this, Ken. . I think that they have screwed up the positioning of "Standard Scale" and "Center Scale".

Those printed designations should be as close as possible to the relevant numbers that they apply to.

I don't even see that exact ruler on the woodpecker.com website, when I had a quick look just now, but it must be there somewhere.

They do have a lot of what looks to be very useful stuff.

Last edited:

ramaroodle

It's set up so the printing is right-side up when reading the scale, but $11 from Woodpeckers??? Must be a misprint with a zero missing. :p

KenB259

I am with you when you said this, Ken. . I think that they have screwed up the positioning of "Standard Scale" and "Center Scale".

Those printed designations should be as close as possible to the relevant numbers that they apply to.

I don't even see that exact ruler on the woodpecker.com website, when I had a quick look just now, but it must be there somewhere.

They do have a lot of what looks to be very useful stuff.

Mal here is a screenshot from their site.
IMG_0232.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

DrD

When I first got started outfitting my shop I went nut for any and everything Woodpeck. Durable, long last, and yes, . . . expensive. Still haven't mastered all the functions/uses for their Devl (?) square.

jttheclockman

My go to rule is and has been for a long time a 12" metal rule I bought from a drafting hobby shop years ago. I am always looking for that thing but always try to keep on my tablesaw fence. I really need to find another. That thing is too small for me and those numbers would confuse me. Guess just use to what I am use to. :) Pretty color though. I mentioned that last time Woodpeckers came up and I ordered their catalog.

Last edited:

KenB259

My go to rule is and has been for a long time a 12" metal rule I bought from a drafting hobby shop years ago. I am always looking for that thing but always try to keep on my tablesaw fence. I really need to find another. That thing is too small for me and those numbers would confuse me. Guess just use to what I am use to. :) Pretty color though. I mentioned that last time Woodpeckers came up and I ordered their catalog.

They are great for centering segmented designs. You just put the 0 on the center point and the scale goes both left and right. Nothing wrong at all with using a traditional rule, but I think you'd really find one of these useful. They have many sizes , but the longer ones do get pricey. I have an Incra one that is 12 inches, but I wanted a shorter one for pens. I also wanted one a little thicker for pens. The Incra ones are great but they are very thin, by design.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

They are great for centering segmented designs. You just put the 0 on the center point and the scale goes both left and right. Nothing wrong at all with using a traditional rule, but I think you'd really find one of these useful. They have many sizes , but the longer ones do get pricey. I have an Incra one that is 12 inches, but I wanted a shorter one for pens. I also wanted one a little thicker for pens. The Incra ones are great but they are very thin, by design.

Maybe Ken but whenever I do something like that I basically pick the number 6 and work both ways. Just the way I learned and some tools are useful but to me that is a toy that I can live without. But others may find it very useful. Seems expensive for such a small rule but than again their tools are not cheap from what I see. Starrett has some nice ones too.

Dieseldoc

Ken

Thanks for the info as I have and use the 12 inch center point ruler and it will be nice to have the short one.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom