The Birth of the Ballpoint Pen (Oct 29, 1945)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

Fascinating reading. I knew some of the history but this added some great insight.

Last week, I turned one of PSI's new kits, the Icon. Interestingly enough it uses a refill from a Bic "Round Stick" that is supplied by PSI legally. This will never be an heirloom pen that descendants will fight over, but it is a very nice looking pen that really dresses up an old friend that always writes well.

Steve

jttheclockman

This along with the fountain pen history has been posted here before. I can remember someone posting these. I maybe have been here too long

magpens

I maybe have been here too long

John, do NOT say that or anything like it ! . Your contributions to ANY thread are very worthwhile and valuable . . :D :D :D :D :D

I have been here for about 10 years and I had not seen any article such as this one brought to members' attention during that time.
It is the sort of thing that many might be interested in, including myself because I remember the introduction of the BP pen in my part of the world when I was very young back in about 1950 or so.

Bear in mind also, that our membership changes over the years and we have many new members every month.
So I think, even though some subjects have been raised in the past, that there is good reason to review those subjects for the benefit of some who came aboard a little later. . Yes, I know that the previously featured material can be searched for and (possibly) found but these more recently published articles often contain new information and novel presentations of earlier material. . Plus there is often the matter of wondering what exactly to search for or how to go about a particular search (search engines are often very finicky and fussy). . So little reviews from time to time can spark new knowledge for others. . The history of our subject is worthwhile bringing to light again.

There is no harm in your pointing out that something has been presented or discussed in the past. . It is useful to know that too.

But there is harm .... to yourself and even to others .... in your saying that "maybe I've been here too long" .... because YOU HAVEN'T !!!

There is no such thing as having too much experience or having too much to offer in the way of advice and knowledge. . Many of us have been here long enough to know the value of reading and paying attention to what you in particular contribute so freely.

You add so much to so many threads .... please be aware of that and that the rest of us appreciate your contributions .... THANK YOU A LOT !!

PLEASE KEEP ON CONTRIBUTING ! :D

jttheclockman

Here you go Mal. You can add this to your link Oh yea it was you last year:)
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-the-ballpoint-pen-killed-cursive

Here is another one OH yea that was you again in 2016
https://www.penturners.org/threads/the-ballpoint-pen-inventor-was-not-a-bich.143637/

Fountain pens
https://www.penturners.org/threads/fountain-pen-book-suggestion.105524/

Now with all that reading I will bring back another of my questions and can overlap this topic and maybe answers have changed since I brought it up. Being as you say Mal so many new members, maybe they have different perspective. By the way pretty easy to search for these. :)
Now this was asked 10 years ago so much has changed but also much has stayed the same. Would like to hear thoughts.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/where-is-pen-making-going.59313/#post-995209

Penchant 4

A World War II veteran (gunner on B24's), with whom I attended my first penmaking workshop had an insight into the birth of the ballpoint/decline of the fountain pen. He remarked to the group that carbon paper led to the rise of the ballpoint.

jttheclockman

Wonder who was the first person to put lead in a piece of wood and did they call it a pencil?? I will leave that to others to do the history lesson.:):)

DrD

Great article. I'm old enough to remember the first appearance of ball point pens. It is herisey to suggest the use of a ball point in any serious writing. This is perhaps why, when I started turning, the only pens I wanted to turn were fountain pens. The discovery that they didn't sell well at fairs etc that I attended was a punch in the gut.

walshjp17

When I went to school for the first time (in the '50s) inkwells were in all our desks. Of couse, we could not use pens (fountain pens) until about third or fourth grade. After that it was ink-stained test papers, homework, shirt pockets and fingers until about eighth grade when we began to use ballpoints. I remember going through several styles of Parker and Eberhard FPs and refilling the ink bladders several times during the course of a few days.

Top Bottom