Sanding a Segmented Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EzNielsen

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2026
Messages
18
Location
Utah
Hello! I've been planning on making this segmented blank for a while. I want to make sure I know exactly how I'm going to do everything before I get started on it.

The question I had was how do you sand segmented blanks while avoiding bleed-out or getting sanding dust stuck to other colored woods?

I'd really appreciate any opinions and/or advice you have, thank you in advance!
IMG_8805.jpeg
 
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I make many segmented pens over the years and have never sanded them. I always use turning tools to get blank round and close to shape I want. After it is all skew work with a sharp skew. After awhile you can go from skew to finish. Now even with finish you do not wipe the first coats on. I suggest a couple light sprays with dewaxed shellac. After the blanks is sealed then finish with whatever you like. Just some of my thoughts.
 
Thank you for the response! That sounds like a great way to do it. Maybe I'll get more practice with a skew and then use it to help make this blank.
 
I make many segmented pens over the years and have never sanded them. I always use turning tools to get blank round and close to shape I want. After it is all skew work with a sharp skew. After awhile you can go from skew to finish. Now even with finish you do not wipe the first coats on. I suggest a couple light sprays with dewaxed shellac. After the blanks is sealed then finish with whatever you like. Just some of my thoughts.
Your use of Shellac is spot on. Prevents colored woods from "bleeding" out onto ajoining woods. Sharp skew is also the go to tool. Good skew work leads to less sanding. Great Job!
 
Since I'm looking at doing more segmenting, this is interesting. Does anyone use a tack cloth to remove little particles that mix with segments? Curious.
 
Since I'm looking at doing more segmenting, this is interesting. Does anyone use a tack cloth to remove little particles that mix with segments? Curious.
No. Use either air or vac. If you get into using metals then you need to protect the lathe and motor. You can use a good soft paint brush which I do on occassion. I do not like tack cloths because they can leave behind a residue. My go to is mostly a shop vac.
 
No. Use either air or vac. If you get into using metals then you need to protect the lathe and motor. You can use a good soft paint brush which I do on occassion. I do not like tack cloths because they can leave behind a residue. My go to is mostly a shop vac.
Understood. It's a pain to hook up as the SV is in the basement along with the air compressor.
 
Get a battery vac. If you are going to do this pen stuff you have to be able to adapt to each situation. One shoe does not fit all. What a vac does is also cleans the area to get ready for finishes. 2 birds with one stone. This is how I look at it. before CA touches any pen blank or other project the lathe area is cleaned.
 
Get a battery vac. If you are going to do this pen stuff you have to be able to adapt to each situation. One shoe does not fit all. What a vac does is also cleans the area to get ready for finishes. 2 birds with one stone. This is how I look at it. before CA touches any pen blank or other project the lathe area is cleaned.
Wait, am I supposed to clean the lathe area? But the shavings provide a nice cushion to stand on. 🤣
 
I finished this project today! Although it's not perfect I'd say it's pretty good for my first go-around! This is on the Dawn Click Kit.

IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1477.jpeg
IMG_1479.jpeg
 
Looks very nice. I love your timber/color choices and the attention to spacing. Your rotation of the segments looks excellent. Not sure, and it may be the photo angle, but maybe a slight indent/space between the segments??? An added wood/misc/credit card/etc spacer may be helpful. If only a slight divot, I have used Mylands Sanding Sealer for minot dips before final sanding. BUT - I really like this design - it was popular back 'in the day' but not as common now. Still a very nice design and one where you can show sloppy attention, or as with yours - excellent attention to subtle elements. Thanks for sharing. 👏 👏 👏
 
Thank you for your tips! There is a slight gap between the segments. I think they are caused by the blade when I was cutting on the bandsaw. I should've sanded more before I glued them. Luckily, there is clear epoxy filled between the gaps and you can't see the brass tube. 👍🏼😀
 
Back
Top Bottom