"Roasted soft maple"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

Feel like sharing with the IAP. I've come accross what is advertised as "ROASTED SOFT MAPLE" that at first resembled walnut. Very nice chocolate colour but it has the regular maple grain. THe soft maple is apparently heated to a very high temperature (180-230 degrees C) over a period of 24-72 hours. The 'heat treating' is supposed to produce a more uniform colour consistency throughout the entire board. The wood has very pleasant smell and reminds me of mesquite. In fact it's being billed as 'mesquite walnut'. Welcome to the new frontier in which man is messing with nature. In this case it may be for the betterment. I can't wait to 'turn' it and hopefully come up with a fine pen. Please feel free to share your comments if you have worked this wood.
-Peter-
200661604230_board1.jpg

200661604249_board2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

Hi, Interestingly it's being billed as 'mesquite walnut' since it's neither. I am real curious to see how the pen turns out, please post a pic!! [:)]
Gary

wood-of-1kind

Hi Gary,
the maple looks like 'walnut' and smells like 'mesquite'. I think it's one of those marketing brainstorms that are out there. The term will be 'trademarked' and I should spin at least one(1) cigar by the weekend.

-Peter-

wood-of-1kind

Here's a satin nickle cigar that's crafted with ROASTED MAPLE. THe colour could almost pass off as walnut. This wood blank was easy to turn and there's a good, almost B-B-Q mesquite smell about it.
-Peter-
200661813237_ciggy4.jpg
<br />
20066181335_ciggy3.jpg
<br />
200661813348_ciggy1.jpg
<br />
200661813329_ciggy2.jpg
<br />

redfishsc

Interesting. I don't know that I'd say "nice" but interesting. NOT to say anything bad about your pen craftmanship, which looks fantastic. Only regarding the wood itself. I can imagine by the time they heat treat it and such, the cost is around or higher than walnut and/or mesquite.

BTW where do you find such an animal?

Thanks,

Matt

wood-of-1kind

Thanks for your comments Matt,

the wood is more expensive that regular maple but it adds a unique design element to furniture for which it is the intended market group. Since the sample piece was given to me as a side 'favour' I was asked not to reveal it's origin until there is a proper marketing introduction by this Canadian supplier. Will share further information once I get full clearance.

-Peter-[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom