Anyone willing to Donate to a GREAT Cause???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen-turners

Hi All,
haven't posted in awhile because I've been out at sea. As some of you know, I am the Force Sonar Technician out here in Pearl Harbor in the Navy.

We are currently preparing to send the USS Buffalo on a 6 month deployment overseas to do a very critical mission. These guys will be busting their butts while they are out at sea and will be spending about 45 days under the water at a time without seeing sunlight. Not one of the more glamourous jobs but you have a lot of time to write letters.

Proposal: I was wondering if anyone would be willing to send some pens to the crew of this ship.?. To date, I do not believe we have ever sent pens to the crew of a submarine and I think this would be great P.R. for us. and I am sure I can get newspaper articles with the presentations to the crew.

Now for the fun part:

I have around 25 pens that I will be donating to the cause and wanted to put a challenge out there. Let's see if we can get a total of 150 pens to present to the Commanding officer. If every one of the "active" members were to send in one or two pens I think we could make this goal easily. I will provide a nice box for presentation to the crew.

Let me know if you think we can do this!

Here is the address to send the pens to:

Christopher R. Hunt
2636 Gordon Street
Honolulu, HI 96818

Thanks for helping out,
Chris
United States Navy Silent Service

pen-turners

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Here is my address: Please do not send anything that ticks!!!!

Christopher R. Hunt
2636 Gordon Street
Honolulu, HI 96818

I will post and update a list as soon as I recieve your pens. A special thanks to you for helping me make this happen!!!!!!

Chris

JimGo

Sounds like a good use for my pens, and a good excuse for me to go back and practice some of my skills (okay, before Dario says it...to DEVELOP some skills!)

Chris, I know that with some of the other services, as well as law enforcement, the best choice is usually a "bushing to bushing" slimline since it fits well in the uniform. Is that also true with you guys? Or would a more "creative" style slimline fit (say, something the size of a KC Twist, Comfort Grip, or an Euro) in the pocket too? I want to make sure that what I send will actually be used.

Oh, and I assume there will be women, right? So some more feminine colored pens (e.g., one from purpleheart) might be appreciated?

pen-turners

Good question Jim,
Actually, when submariners are underway they wear coveralls so just about any pen will fit in them. The only pens that are a problem are pens that the clip is not flush with the top. I.E. Executive or Sierra style pens. The diameter of the pens do not matter with either coveralls or regular uniforms.
I personally carry a Jr. Gent with me while I am underway but just about any size will fit. I have carried cigar pens and they fit also. Any type will be a fine gift to them.

Chris

pen-turners

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />
Oh, and I assume there will be women, right? So some more feminine colored pens (e.g., one from purpleheart) might be appreciated?

Ha Ha Ha, Nope - No women (unless you include) fire control technicians.

Chris

JimGo

Something tells me the fire control tech's wouldn't appreciate that answer Chris! So, should we make them a bunch of hot pink PR pens? [:D]

JimGo

Chris,
If it's just for a prank, I have some hot pink blocks that I consider "scrap". They were my first attempt at casting (planned on doing pens for my wife, my mom, and an aunt who had breast cancer), and they look good 'till you get close to the tube, at which point most of the coloring agent disappears. I'd be happy to turn a couple "beefier" slimlines from them for you to include in the prank.

pen-turners

Skye,
I'll provide a bunch of refills to the boat when I make the presentation. I've got TONS in stock and the rest I'll get from a local place. Good idea!!

Chris

terrymiller

Like Chris was saying about any pen will fit in either the coveralls or the utilities. I am also on active duty Navy and have carried anything from a slimline all the way up to a El Grande with no problems.

I will make some suggestions though:

Pen kit finish you may want to opt for a upgraded finish. Maybe in the line of Ti for the durability
The pen finish you may want to use a durable finish also. Either CA or Lacquer friction polish may not hold up to grease and other solvents that may be encountered.
I would not really recomend Fountain Pens either. Ease of use and lack of avalibilty of refill ink.

These pens will be used on watch in various location and will likely be subjected to a fair amount of abuse.

You mean that bubbleheads are allowed something other than a crayon to write with? [:D] Been there and done that so you know that I will have a couple on there way. Thanks Chris for the opportunity to simply say thanks to some of our heroes.

pen-turners

Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br />You mean that bubbleheads are allowed something other than a crayon to write with? [:D]

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

I knew someone would say something like that!!!!!!! Good one!!!!!

By the way. We have about a month before they have to leave but would like the pens ASAP so I can design a nice presentation box.

Chris

pen-turners

For all that have been gracious enough to contribute to this cause. My address is posted under my profile....

OR:

Christopher R. Hunt
2636 Gordon Street
Honolulu, HI 96818

I let my postman know to expect a bunch of stuff......

The pens are needed within the next 4 weeks for me to be able to get the presentation ready.

Thanks again,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom