Road trip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

In about 3 weeks I am going to be driving a moving truck from Detroit to Phx and was wondering if their was a store that sold burls or bowl blanks along the way that I shouldnt miss. I have good local sources for exotic boards so pretty much interested in the burls or bowl blanks stores that are not woodcraft.

Rough map of my path

200661818183_map.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimQ

Mike, take I-69 south to Indianapolis and I-70 west to St Louis if you don't have a pressing need to go through the mess that is I-80 near Chicago. It's 40 miles shorter will probably save close to 2 hours of driving time. I spent 15 years driving over the road.

JimQ

vick

Thanks Jim I appreciate it. This is not the actual route I am talking I just did a quick map quest to give people an idea what areas I would be passign through.

By the way it was a pleasure to meet you on Saturday. I will try to make a couple pens to bring to the meeting in August, but I have been concentrateing on other turings right now.

terrymiller

Mike you may want to contact Chitswood if I remember correctly both Darick and his supplier live in St Louis.

Daniel

Mike,
It a shame you will not be closer to the sacramento area. I know where the company is that gethers every walnut burl they can find, as well as others. tons of great burls.

jssmith3

Hi Mike, if you come through Albuquerque, let us know ahead of time and we can do a dinner with the turners from here and the owner of Woodcraft. I will try to do some research ahead of time for some burl woods.
Janet :)

JimQ

AS & Yuma are 185 miles west of Phoenix. An easy day trip, but Bill does not have a showroom. He is strictly mail/internet order.

JimQ

RogerGarrett

According to the map you posted, you will travel I-55 south through St. Louis. If you do so - you will travel right past Bloomington, IL - and I'll be here with a beer (or maybe several and a bed if need be) if you decide to stop.

Best,
Roger Garrett

vick

Daniel - Where were you before. I lived in Sacramento for about 5 years and just moved away about a year and 1/2 ago.

Janet - I would love to have dinner with the NM crew however I will have to look at my path a little more I am not sure what day or around what time I will be going through NM. I would be leary of making plans due to the possibility I might be running behind. I will PM you when I get a little closer to my trip date.

Jim - Bill does not have a show room but I know of a couple of people that have called him and arranged a visit so if you are interested drop him a line.

dubdrvrkev

Mike you can always ship a chainsaw to the in-laws place ahead of time and leave a little room on the back of the truck then harvest something along the way. [;)][}:)]
I took a similar route from here to Columbus in 2.5 days, not the most fun. Have a safe drive...caffine is your friend.

JimQ

If the weather stays clear, I would take I-20 & I-59 to I-12 to I-10(avoid New Orleans). If there are storms threatening, you can stay on I-20 either all the way to I-35, or take US79 from the LA/TX line to I-35. US79 was a good route even if the first 30 miles were "closed" to heavy trucks.
If you go through Houston, avoid doing it between 5 & 9:30am or 2:30 & 8pm. They use to have long rush hours.

JimQ

One of these days I am going to forget all those route numbers and need to get an atlas.

They say when you get old, the second thing to go is the memory, and I forget what was first.

Woodbutcher68

Like JimQ said, try to avoid the Chicago area, unless you can go through at about 4:00 a.m. I'm two blocks South of I-80-94 and see the construction back-ups all the time. I'm glad I don't work in Chicago anymore. I wouldn't go any farther West than I-65 on 94.

JimQ

Heck, even I-65 is too far west on I-94 or I-80 in my mind.[:D] If you get to there, you have to back track southeast to work your way to St Louis.

JimQ

Lloyd Frisbee

Hey Vick, when you pass thru Texas pick up some mesquite firewood for me. I love mesquite. In Texas they burn it like it grows on trees or something![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom