Riser Kit = Bigger Burls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gofer

I finally got a riser kit installed on my Delta 14" bandsaw and had to try it out on a nice Manitoba Maple burl that has been laying beside the house since it was cut last fall.

I cut the bulk of the trunk off the burl and then started cutting on the one side of the burl that would ride reasonably flat against the fence. The burl is at least 8" tall where it meets the trunk and the longest slab is 23". The length of the burl stacking up the slabs is just shy of 24".

397018604.jpg

I have a bottle in the pics for a good size reference.

397018605.jpg

To say it was a fun challange to slab this chunk of wood doesn't quite express it fully.

397018607.jpg

I ended up with 23 slabs that are a little over 3/4" thick with the outer slabs good for casting.

397018608.jpg

And for those of you who have seen and / or used some of the burls this one is just as nice as any I have cut before. It would not be fair to not share a couple close ups.

397018609.jpg

397018610.jpg

Somedays the work and expense I put into getting these trees makes it al worth while. Total to date I have sent wood to many people across Canada, the US, Australia, and Europe. If it wasn't for the postal costs I would send more. For the cost of gas and oil, two chains and a bar for the chain saw, my fellow turners have gotten a lot of good wood from me, about 8 pickup truck loads at last count so far. That does not include the wood that I have kept for my own use. I find it relaxing to work with wood and to share it with others that do not have access to it like I do.

Have a great day everyone.

Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Bruce, I would gladly pay the postage for some of that! Heck, I'd pay for the blanks AND the postage! Nice haul

Gofer

Sharon, I would be happy to share, only problem at the moment is that Canada Post is going on strike in 2 days and there is no way it would be out f the country before then. I doubt it would be out of the city.

I have enough for more pens than I could ever turn, the truth is I have about a dozen or so other burls just as big as that one that I haven't decide what to do with yet.

Bruce

sbwertz

Sharon, I would be happy to share, only problem at the moment is that Canada Post is going on strike in 2 days and there is no way it would be out f the country before then. I doubt it would be out of the city.

I have enough for more pens than I could ever turn, the truth is I have about a dozen or so other burls just as big as that one that I haven't decide what to do with yet.

Bruce

Have you ever done any bowl turning? I've just started...3 bowl so far. It makes a nice break from pens. My lathe is small so I can't turn a bowl much bigger than 6" in diameter, but it's fun.

As to wood...If I turned 20 pens a day for the rest of my life I couldn't turn all the blanks I already have cut, let alone all the uncut wood I have. That said, I never turn down pretty wood! It's unconstitutional isn't it?

Sharon

sbwertz

MY GOD Bruce! I expected half a dozen pen blanks, not half a tree! What a beautiful surprise. You give a whole new meaning to "pen pal."

Bruce just sent me TWO of these huge slabs of burl! All the way from Canada! I am absolutely dumbfounded!

I'll put together a box of local wood to send you. Thank you so much. I DON'T have a riser kit, so I can't send such big slabs though!

Last edited:
Top Bottom