Fires in Eastern Arizona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Well, I'm a bit surprised! I thought I had far more enemies on the forum than friends :eek: but the past few days I received quite a few inquiries as to the wild fires raging near here and my well being. Thanks to everyone for their concern!

If I heard correctly on the local news this morning this fire is by far the largest the state has ever seen and probably the entire southwest! The towns evacuated over the past few days are 45 and 55 miles east of Show Low and the prevailing winds are driving the fire north to northwest... away from us so that's a good thing........ at least for us! It's sad to look east in the evening to see the orange glow in the sky!

Our high school has been opened up for all the evacuees from nearby towns to stay since they are not allowed to return home yet. Lots of tradedgy here, folks losing their homes and or businesses. One fellow I was talking to said his house is still intact but his property value probably dropped from $400,000 to $50,000 since he is now surrounded by black sticks rather than a lush green forest!

I tried to go fishing yesterday but was turned back just 3 miles short of my favorite lake since the campground there is where a few thousand fire fighters are camping out.

Looks like more time in the shop this week instead of fishing! :frown: But maybe that's not such a bad thing!:biggrin:

Again, thanks to those expressing concern!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Good to hear you're OK I was wondering how you were doing. I sure hope it doesn't get into Kaibab Forest, I used to love being there I swear the couple of years we lived there it would rain like the dickens for about 20 minutes nearly every afternoon I wish it would get a good storm through now. Good luck George >>

sbwertz

I've been watching the progress with you in mind, George! I remember the Cave Creek fire in 2004 or 2005. It was about 25 miles from us. We were also upwind from it so not in great danger unless the wind changed, but still very nervous-making!

Friends in northeastern CO say they have smoke from this fire there.

PenMan1

Glad you are OK, George. Even though you are not directly in the line of the fire, pay particular attention to the air quality alerts for your area. Wild fires can present some breathing problems as far away as 100 miles.

Hturnings

Glad your west of the problem George. We are from NM and spent our spring vacation at Big Lake and the lake near Showlow (can't remember name). Very pretty country. I liked the lake near showlow best.

ldb2000

Great to hear your ok George ! Time for you to get into the shop and make some new pens .... I need some new ideas to steal ..... err .... borrow :wink::biggrin:

Texatdurango

Glad your west of the problem George. We are from NM and spent our spring vacation at Big Lake and the lake near Showlow (can't remember name). Very pretty country. I liked the lake near showlow best.

I'm hearing from local scuttlebutt that the big concern is that the ash from the fires falling into Big Lake might have a deadly effect on the fish, and could possibly kill off the trout that are in it now!

Lake Hawley is pretty close to Show Low and that is where I'm heading tomorrow!

Top Bottom