My dad is home.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
First, for those who sent up a prayer or thought good thoughts for my dad, I sincerely appreciate it. It appears it worked, at least for the time being! Earlier this week, the Drs. said this was most likely it since he was not responding to the antibiotics. Then, on Tuesday evening, the Dr. decided to make one last ditch effort and try a different antibiotic. He really did not think it would work but wanted to know that he did everything he could.

Well, Wednesday evening, his x-ray looked better. Then today, they said it was much better. They think the pneumonia is under control. He does have pulmonary edema due to congestive heart failure so they have him on drugs for that. All in all, thing look brighter. It does not look like it is time yet.

Tonight, we brought him home from the hospital. Of course he is really weak and only wants to sleep but he was really happy to be home. He came home with oxygen and my mom has some help with Home Health coming every few days to check on things.

This has taken a tremendous load off of everyone. Thinking that your dad is going to die any day has been real stressful. I did not feel depressed but I also did not have the drive to do much of anything. Last night, after the news of improvement, I worked in the shop for the first time in 10 days. Now I am way behind but life does seem brighter for the time being anyway. We know that his time is short and we will have to go through this again, but for now, we have a deprive.

Thank you again, for all your comments and PMs of support. I really means a lot to me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Thats awesome Curtis. More time with a loved one is always a good thing. Good thing that he wants to sleep alot, I'm sure he needs to recuperate.

Have fun in the shop! And spend some time with the rest of your family too!

mrburls

Good to hear your dad has come home. I'm sure that alone makes him feel better. You and your family take care.

Keith "mrburls"

boxerman

It's good to hear your dad is doing better and is home. The power of prayer does really work. Will keep you and your dad a family in prayers. Take care.

Old Lar

Enjoy the time you have left. This will be some precious memories. Our thoughts and prayers are ongoing.

Glad to hear he's home and doing better....
I remember when my father passed away in '89... it was the first time I ever felt my mortality... enjoy every minute you can with him... the time will be precious and leave you with great memories... as long as you have memories, he will always live on.

flyitfast

Prayer does work!!! Not only prayer for your Dad, but prayers for guidance in the doctor's decisions and judgement.
Being home will be the best medicine for him.
Hope you get to work in the shop for a loooong time....
gordon

phillywood

Curtis, it's a very nice news and i am sure he is very happy to be home and lots of weight is lifted form every one's shoulders. enjoy your time with him and your family and cherish the memories that you all will make form here on. It' great to hear that you are back in the shop. God bless you and your family and hope everything would go just the way all of you expected.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
They do make an anti-pneumonia vaccine, Curtis...might be something to ask his doctor about..

The vaccine will not help in his case. We have already looked into it. The problem is that he is a cancer survivor. When the did the radiation therapy on his tumor, it did a lot of damage to other parts. His tumor was behind his left eye and as a result of the radiation, he lost is left eye, his sense of smell, his salivary glands, and his hearing. On top of that, the radiation caused constriction of the throat and he frequently chokes on his food due to that and no saliva. He then aspirates some of his food and it causes the pneumonia.

And for those who may be new and have not heard it...his cancer is a rare cancer in the US and its only known cause is exposure to plywood saw dust. He was a carpenter and framer all his life and did not take the proper precautions. Wear those dust masks and get the best DC possible. 66 years old and went from an avid cyclist who rode an average of 12,000 miles per year with over 100,000 miles under his belt. Vegetarian, never smoked, and never drank but the sawdust ruined is life.

Fred

Curtis ...

Very glad to hear of your father's home coming. I trust that he is resting easier being close to you and the family.

God's blessing to your father, you and the family.

Top Bottom