Review - GluBoost - A Liquid Finish For Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

How long does it take to dry between coats without the accelerator? Does it act similar to CA glue in drying times?

First three coats are under one minute each. After that, it is a little slower.

I was thinking that to conserve accelerator I could skip using it between coats but the instructions do say to use it. Any thoughts on that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Anyone going to Turn On! Chicago - you have the opportunity to see and use GluBoost. I have four rotations and will be using the product in my first and fourth rotation. In addition, Friday night we will be turning pens for troops and I will have some on hand to try for yourself. See you there.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How long does it take to dry between coats without the accelerator? Does it act similar to CA glue in drying times?

First three coats are under one minute each. After that, it is a little slower.

I was thinking that to conserve accelerator I could skip using it between coats but the instructions do say to use it. Any thoughts on that?

I did not use accelerator, it felt "dry" to the touch, I did not see a need.

Ask 10 penturners how to do something, you will get 15 methods--some better than others. Choose the ones you like best!!

mg_dreyer

So there have been numerous questions on both the need for accelerator with GluBoost and use of accelerator. Based on experience I know about the skepticism of use of accelerator. In the past I tried never to use an accelerator with CA. Felt it made the finish brittle and prone to yellowing, cracking, or white spot. I generally would let the piece dry naturally and it took a few days between series of coats.

When I originally looked at GluBoost that was the exact questions I had – do I need the accelerator? Now I use the accelerator (GluDry) every time. Because of the questions I have seen and been asked during demos I spoke with the president of GluBoost and asked him about the need. Clearly it is part of the system and should be used.

Here are his comments back to me:
• Ordinary CA dries MUCH faster than Fill n Finish Finisher. We recommend using GluBoost Accelerator to assure that the Fill n' Finish dries all the way through.
• The GluBoost Accelerator causes a chain reaction to insure this important step. Further, the GluBoost Accelerator never bubbles or pits, or clouds the Fill n' Finish or MasterGlu.
• It is because of the bubbles and white spots caused by other accelerators, that when you start sanding, you are driving white dust back into the finish. This causes far less clarity in the finish and why accelerators have been traditionally frowned upon in turning.
• The GluBoost system, when used together, makes for both reliability and the clearest finish you can achieve because GluBoost Accelerator never bubbles or pits the Fill n' Finish or MasterGlu. This insures that you work is dry all the way through regardless of environmental conditions and that your finish remains as clear as you can possibly achieve.

I like the way Ed Brown sums it up – "make your own judgement". I simply wanted to take the question to the company and ask them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When you ask for information from a company spokesperson, it is reasonable to assume they "warranty" their product based on using it in compliance with their suggestions.

In short, I may not see the need for accelerator, I DO see the need to heed the advice of GluBoost. Clearly, they know more about the product than I do!!!!
I will use the accelerator. Quick spritz with the lathe running is not a big deal.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
So there have been numerous questions on both the need for accelerator with GluBoost and use of accelerator. Based on experience I know about the skepticism of use of accelerator. In the past I tried never to use an accelerator with CA. Felt it made the finish brittle and prone to yellowing, cracking, or white spot. I generally would let the piece dry naturally and it took a few days between series of coats.

When I originally looked at GluBoost that was the exact questions I had – do I need the accelerator? Now I use the accelerator (GluDry) every time. Because of the questions I have seen and been asked during demos I spoke with the president of GluBoost and asked him about the need. Clearly it is part of the system and should be used.

Here are his comments back to me:
• Ordinary CA dries MUCH faster than Fill n Finish Finisher. We recommend using GluBoost Accelerator to assure that the Fill n' Finish dries all the way through.
• The GluBoost Accelerator causes a chain reaction to insure this important step. Further, the GluBoost Accelerator never bubbles or pits, or clouds the Fill n' Finish or MasterGlu.
• It is because of the bubbles and white spots caused by other accelerators, that when you start sanding, you are driving white dust back into the finish. This causes far less clarity in the finish and why accelerators have been traditionally frowned upon in turning.
• The GluBoost system, when used together, makes for both reliability and the clearest finish you can achieve because GluBoost Accelerator never bubbles or pits the Fill n' Finish or MasterGlu. This insures that you work is dry all the way through regardless of environmental conditions and that your finish remains as clear as you can possibly achieve.

I like the way Ed Brown sums it up – "make your own judgement". I simply wanted to take the question to the company and ask them.
My biggest complaint about the accelerator is the quantity in the bottle. Having been in the packaging industry, I am aware that the package for this probably costs more than the product. Next time you talk to them please encourage them to provide a larger option. Currently it is about 1/3 of the competition.

mg_dreyer

Bruce,

I clearly will - I have found them open to all my questions and comments. Also I have found that since it is an aerosol I only use a quick hit.

Gabriel

Thanks for all the info folks....
Currently I use mercury flex and blo....
I spoke to our local rep (in Australia) and am picking up some gluboost/accelerator tomorrow -

My question is this..... Should I still try a gluboost/blo finish or straight gluboost?
Or should I be the one trying it out and report back?

Cheers!
Gab

mg_dreyer

Gab

Generally people use the BLO to smooth out the finish and lay it cleaner. I have not seen any need to do that with GLuBoost. If you try let us know. I simply did not see the need. It is easy to use even with lathe off.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Gab

Generally people use the BLO to smooth out the finish and lay it cleaner. I have not seen any need to do that with GLuBoost. If you try let us know. I simply did not see the need. It is easy to use even with lathe off.

I just tried GluBoost for the first time today. I used to do the CA/BLO method. I did use BLO onto one of my pens to see if it "popped" the color, but it made almost no difference. I didn't do BLO between layers as I was using their accelerator instead. I will say this is MUCH faster to get done than my CA/BLO and thats was pretty quick.

IMG_0372.jpg

Gold on left was plain. Middle is olive wood (nothing done to the wood to eliminate oil). Right was wiped with BLO before finish.

All were GREAT and very quick. So far I'm a fan.

dwkern

Mark,

Thanks for your initial post and review. I'm late to the game but wanted to add I have been using GluBoost to make repairs on pen finishes, and it works great. On inlay pens I still use Stick Fast for build up, but after I have everything leveled I switch to the GluBoost. Seems the visible lines between layers of CA glue all get covered and blended unlike using the Stick Fast (if you sand through, you have to start over...). I'm very happy with the GluBoost.

Also, their accelerator can is small, but seems to last along time. We'll see.

Dale

skypilot444

I switched from CA over a month ago. I never could get the hang of the CA application. Decided to try glu boost and must say I love it. Longer working time, very smooth application, and extremely nice glossy finish. On wood I sand to 1000 grit, seal with shine juice, sand again and 2 coats of thin and 1 coat of pro finish, wet micro mesh to 15000 then polish. On acrylics I skip the sealer coat. I am extremely happy with the product. Not so much with the price. You will definitely use the accelerator faster than the glu but turning a pen start to beautiful finish takes only 2-3 hours.

Top Bottom