Respirator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoughto

I'm finishing a couple of pens a day now. :)

I started using a shop vac while sanding to cut down on dust. [|)]

I still have a small cough in the morning :(, though, so I'm thinking I need to wear a respirator.

What respirator, air filter, or mask do you use[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I use the 3M 8210 disposable masks and love it. Easy to put on, disposable, lasts a long time and gives good protection as far as I can tell.

In average I use one for 2 months (probably longer).

I also use the disposable kind, Fastenal carries a box of 50 for about $6. Before I started to use them I would have sores inside my nasal passage. There is a thread here on this (not my sores but the respirators [:D]) ALso there is a thread on wood dust being a cancer causing agent. Makes you wonder about what we (woodworkers) are snorting.

rtparso

I will repeat if you are going to wear a resperator GET FIT TESTED. If you consider the dust nusance only get a dust mask. On another note if you have a normal filter in your shopvac it doesn't filter the small stuff 3 to .3 micron that makes you sick. I have a goretex filter (sold by sears for sears vacs) that does a much better job. See the URL for the same type filter from woodworkers supply.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=115-586&go=1011780
Or from sears
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00917832000
BTW I could not even find a spec for paper filters.

atvrules1

I use a 3M N95 1860 mask that I'm able to pick up at work from our central supply. These are the masks that health care workers use for patients with tuberculosis so they filter down to something like 0.5 microns. They are disposable, light and pretty comfortable. Should be able to get a box of them at your local hospital supply company.

anstranger

Like rtparso said get fit tested first. You also have to look at how good of a seal the different ones give you and exactly what you are trying to filter out. I can't use the disposables like the ones that are mentioned because they do not seal on my face. So I spent the extra money and got the respirator that uses the screw in cartridges. The handy thing about it is I can get different types of cartridges to handle a wide range of dusts and chemicals, so I can use it even when using CA or paints. I also have a fullface powered respirator for when I handle some of the really nasty chemicals such as calcium hypochlorite and some of the epoxy paints. General woodturning though will just require one to handle the dusts. So look at what you want to protect from and invest the money in getting the most useful one for your needs.

Regards,
anomdragon

rtparso

A fit test is usually performed by a health professional and consists of wearing the type of mask and checking the fit. This is best done (quantitative fit testing) by hooking up a device that puts a slight negative pressure on the mask. Then you move your face and head with the mask on and make sure that the mask does not leak. It can also be done by using banana oil (qualitative fit test). Put the mask on have some one spray a small amount around your face while you move your face and head. If you live in a large town look for a doctor that does industrial medicine and he should be able to point you to someone who can fit test you. The following link will tell you more if you want.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9780

johnson

Having "full facial hair", I wear a positive air flow helmet. It was sold as a Racal, but they were bought out by 3M. It has a full face shield, hard hat and filter pack worn on a belt. Being allergic to dust, this has made a big difference. The unit is not cheap, but neithor are your lungs. Having spent 30 years in welding, I heartily agree to get fit tested. If it don't seal, it ain't working.
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom