buffing lacquer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoplow

I am finding out that I am partial to a spray lacquer finish. It seems to me to be the most fool proof, but I'm not too happy with the time frame. I just hate to see the blanks siting there, waiting to "cure" before assembly. I want to see the finished product! The question is; how long must I wait between the final coat of Deft spray lacquer and the buffing process.Some say 3 days some say 7 days. Like to hear your personal opinions, and experiences.
Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Roy,
the few times I did use Deft. I assembled my pens after 24 ours.
I don't recall having any problems with leaving marks in the finish. I also handled them with cotton gloves. 7 days is the time the finish I put on my parents hardwood floor called for before you subjected it to normal foot traffic or moving furniture. that hardness would not be necessary where a pen is concerned. at least for assembly. By the way I handle my pens with gloves on for most things, such as photographing them. giving them there final polish and putting them in or out of there display cses. even gunky finger prints ad up fast.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You already know the amswer to your question. You have to do 3 things, wait, wait, and wait. How long depends on the thickness of the lacquer, the temperature and humidity in the area where it is waiting, how aggressively you use the buffing wheel, and how high a gloss you are willing to accept.

If it were summertime in a dry climate, you could buff the next day if you don't get too aggressive with the buffing wheel. But we are getting into that time of the year when all finishes take more time. The shops are colder, and everything slows down.

A good "rule of thumb" is to give it a week, but 2 would be better; and don't be surprized if it tales 3 if the shop temperature gets below 50F at at night.

The only way to really know "how long" is to try some different lengths of time to find what you can get away with. Don't be surprised to find that it takes twice as long now as it did last June, unless you can leave the finished pen barrels in the house. Under a box on top of the hotwater heater is a good place.

snoplow

I Should add that I don't plan on getting too agressive with the buffing, as the finish looks pretty good without it. Maybe some automotive polishing compound, followed by a wax.

00lightning

I like a high gloss finish for some pens and use Deft spray lacquor. I usaually apply about 4 heavy coats within 60 - 90 minutes. I follow this with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper at a low speed. I finish off with fine automotive rubbing compound on the lathe then swirl remover, also on the lathe using a soft flannel cloth. The final finish is carnuba wax. The results are a glass-like gloss.

p.s. Prior to finishing, I use CA to fill the pores, them micro mesh to 12000 grit.

its_virgil

Like Russ said, lacquer takes time to cure so you can buff. I know some buff after it dries to the touch and I'll not argue about that, but lacquer does need to cure for days/or longer to get the optimun results. No wax on my pens...no wax in my shop. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Do a good turn daily!
don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom