Question about Cactus???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

R2

I was out yesterday, taking our Estonian exchange student to see the main dam for Brisbane cities water supply. There were several small prickly pear plants growing along the road in different spots but from what I've read here they were probably too small and green to be of much use.
Apparenyly the trick is to find larger "mature" leaves that have fallen to the ground, let them rot so the flesh is mushy and then hose them out and dry the remaining skeleta; material.

angboy

Originally posted by rtrimyer

How do you clean the cactus to get just the woody substance? Is there a tutorial?

Thank you,

Robert K. Trimyer

Here's my tutorial- buy them like that from Dario!! That's what I did and I think it was well worth the price. Don't know if he's selling them anymore even, but just had to put in my smart response...:D:D

Schkeeters

This weekend I was at the farm, and I stumbled across some cactus that had been hit with a "pear burner" a few months back. The outside was dry and crispy and all the thorns were gone. When I broke the outside skin away, there are layers and layers of the dry woody fibers inside. I used air to blow all of the pieces of trash out, and have them very clean. The problem is they are an ugly brown color. I'm playing with bleaching/dying them right now, and I should be able to tell you what NOT to do in a few days. Any help is always appreciated.
ds

Top Bottom