First casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
So here are a couple of pens from my first attempt at casting.

Overall I think they turned out pretty well. I do have a few pits, especially near the ends. Fortunately the worst ones were covered by the center band of the Olympia.

I didn't use any vacuum, just pressure and I used a chopstick to add the pigment and stir, so I don't think I added too much air. The pits remind me of the first acrylic blanks I turned from Rockler.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

follow3

Good job on the castings.

Awesome pens!!!

What kit did you use for the filligre pen, and where from?

Thanks,
Steve

stevers

Excellent job Dale. The pitting is most likely from your turning. Slow down and keep the skew "sharp". Find the sweet spot when you lay into the material and that should disappear. I doubt it's in the castings.

Very nice looking first effort. I don't even count the ones you showed me. Nice color and I like the blending of the pigment. I'm impressed Dale. Good job!

Edit: I didn't mean slow down the lathe, I meant take it easy and enjoy yourself.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
You may be able to fill pits like that with CA glue and then finish sanding.Some of my blanks will do the same. I think vacuum and then pressure works better.

alamocdc

I have yet to cast using vacuum or pressure and only occasionally have any pits. However, when I discover one I fill it with thick CA. The pit becomes invisible and will polish out like the rest of the resin.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by follow3

Good job on the castings.

Awesome pens!!!

What kit did you use for the filligre pen, and where from?

Thanks,
Steve

The pen is an "Americana" from CSUSA. It is another one that they have discontinued.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.:)

Top Bottom