PSI casting kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryankelley

I am new to pen turning and was looking through the PSI catalog. Is this kit any good, do I new a press. or vac pot? what are your opinions on this kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

Well,it is ok.It is 39.95+shipping.You could go to U.S. Composites and get a gallon of Silmar 41 for 34.50 and the pigment sampler pack for 35.00 (I have it,plenty of colors) and find some Tupperware for molds or make some from cutting boards.I believe there is a post about that.You would have a lot more resin to play with.If you are not planning on embedding anything,just doing simple casts,you do not need a pressure pot.Casting is a lot of fun.You will be out of that 32oz can in no time.The link will take you to the website I mentioned.
http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

mrcook4570

The PSI kit is good to see if casting is something you want to do without dropping too much money. You can also go to Michael's or other similar hobby store and find casting supplies priced about the same as PSI. If you find that you like casting, then definitely buy it by the gallon.

Nick

Well,it is ok.It is 39.95+shipping.You could go to U.S. Composites and get a gallon of Silmar 41 for 34.50 and the pigment sampler pack for 35.00 (I have it,plenty of colors) and find some Tupperware for molds or make some from cutting boards.I believe there is a post about that.You would have a lot more resin to play with.If you are not planning on embedding anything,just doing simple casts,you do not need a pressure pot.Casting is a lot of fun.You will be out of that 32oz can in no time.The link will take you to the website I mentioned.
http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

Ronald, or anyone, what method do you use to assemble the "cutting board" molds?

its_virgil

Embedding: like snake skins, labels, circuit boards, or other stuff wrapped around the tube and embedded in some type of resin. For me the choice is polyester resin and others use Alumilite.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sorry for this stupid question, what do you mean by embedding?

Attachments

• IMG_3075 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3075 (Small).JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 231
  • snakes small.JPG
    snakes small.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 227

rjwolfe3

I believe (and I am no expert) that most of the snakeskin are done on the thicker kits. Of course I could be wrong, I just haven't seen a slimline snakeskin yet, lol.

rdunn12

Ronald, or anyone, what method do you use to assemble the "cutting board" molds?

I just put them together with drywall screws.I assemble them with drywall srews and then use aluminum tape on the outside to seal them up.I think I read somewhere that someone uses clear silicon to seal the mold but not sure.You will get some seapage through the joints using the tape method,(it won't go through the tape)but after the first use let it dry a while and the resin will seal it up.Works for me.Cheap too.

its_virgil

I make my snakeskin blanks for most of the kits. My favorite is the Sierra (not the sierra vista), the baron, and cigar. In addition to the ones mentioned, I've made blanks for the elagant beauty, jr gent and statesman, gent and statesman, the 7mm euro, slimlines, patriot, zen, and probably others I've forgotten. A 7mm euro was posted last week by alex Chapa from a set of blanks I made. I do make slimlines but I don't (personally) like snake skin on the top and bottom, so here is how I do slimlines.

The skins on these rattlesnakes are not tissue paper thin but they are not super thic either. I very seldom cut into the skin and if I do it is usually on the end of a sierra. I've wanted to try the sierra vista but I don't really have problems with the sierra. I don't remember the last skin I cut into.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I believe (and I am no expert) that most of the snakeskin are done on the thicker kits. Of course I could be wrong, I just haven't seen a slimline snakeskin yet, lol.

Attachments

• SNAKE SLIMS 2 72406.jpg
    SNAKE SLIMS 2 72406.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Top Bottom