In need of label casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I have a client wanting a 'fire fighter' label cast in a pen.
This would be the IAFF label.
If anyone out there can do this and has an interest, please PM me or add to thread.
I will probably order at least 3 of these to make it worth the effort to cast and ship.
Thanks.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

Hi John hope you don't mind me jumping in here too. I too was looking for someone to do a little label casting, kinda and thought it would save having the same info on 2 threads. I actually collect irish stamps and i have stamps from 1922, i thought it would be neat to cast some on a pen for my own personal use and show it off at our next exhibition

stevers

I see a second post on this subject. Another request for label casting. I just want to reply so you don't think everyone is ignoring you. Most likely the reason you aren't getting too many responses is because,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well to be perfectly honest, label casting is quite a chore. It becomes time consuming for several reasons. It takes time to size and prep the image for print to the label and the casting is still not a perfect science, a lot can still go wrong. And that's just a couple of things. The last time I did a cast for some one, I cast 13 blanks to get 6 usable ones. Don't get me wrong, the rejects were my fault, poor adhesion, leeks into the tubes and trouble curing the resin. But those are some of the reasons I don't go into label casting for profit. I haven't perfected (as much as we can) the method. If I remember correctly, I charger the fella $45 or $50 for the castings and I still felt torn between not being worth my time and over charging the guy. I think it worked out to $7.50 a blank or something in that ball park, plus shipping. And he sent me the tubes.
I just wanted to say this and please don't feel like your being overlooked or ignored. Best of luck.

GaryMadore

Steve,

I just made a similar request in another thread, but wanted some shredded money cast.

I am *completely* ignorant of the work involved in casting and so, after reading your post above, I wonder if I have perhaps asked someone to do a job for me that's not really worth doing.

If so, I'll withdraw the request and make the pens out of something else.

Thanks for the eye-opener.

Cheers!

Gary

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I just tried casting a few more yesterday and today. Four of them were
the IAFF logo. (two in full color, two in white, black and red)
The labels look great. The microbubbles and the labels that are coming off
the tube do not.

Stevers is right, it isn't something most people would want to take on for a
price. People might not understand why it is 'expensive' and the guy doing
the work might feel like he's undercharging, based on the wasted materials
and time.

It's easy in theory...

polarbear1

I'm glad you folks are saying that, actually only 13 casts to get 6 good pen blanks is not bad. I'm shooting for 70 wedding pens, I have only 19 completed pens and a bucket full of 50 or so tries most of which never made it to the lathe. Once I get these wedding pens complete I will be able to help cast pens for people on here because I will have it figured out exactly how to do it, and mostly how not to do it.

How about trying waterslide decals inder a CA finish, just another option.

I have been doing that for a while with great success.+/_ two years
I am using the waterslide decals on Semi finished barrel to give it a good finished surface and then used CA to finish.
It truly works for me. Here are some I did for customers.

If any one need some advice on this I would be glad to help.

Attachments

• 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Skye

^Very nice looking. I'm assuming that you seal the wood first? Seems you'd have to be careful making sure the wood was fully dry before CAing over it.

woodfish

decal paper

You may be able to get something from micro-mark, they have all kind of stuff. Not sure about the web site addy, so you will have to a search for it,sorry!!
dave

Top Bottom