I broke my pressure pot, dang it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

babyblues

OK, I finally got my pressure pot, but in trying to get the #$%@#$ fittings off, that they apparently didn't think anyone would EVER want to remove, the collar that the elbow screws into broke right off the lid. I'm not sure what to do now....any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Ezout?

TI_Info_01-12.gif

Last edited:

its_virgil

You need what Skye suggested or you need an "internal pipe wrench" which fits inside the pipe and grabs hold.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=28191-943-05212

Here is a link to Skye's extractor and two styles of internal pipe wrenchs.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/extractors.html

Do a good turn daily!
Don

OK, I finally got my pressure pot, but in trying to get the #$%@#$ fittings off, that they apparently didn't think anyone would EVER want to remove, the collar that the elbow screws into broke right off the lid. I'm not sure what to do now....any suggestions?

Druid

The same thing happened to me while taking the fittings off the harbor freight paint pot. I used what Skye recommended in combination with a vice and pipe wrench. It appeared they used some kind of pipe cement, maybe to keep Bozo's like me from removing them? :biggrin:

I want to make a second but shrill at the thought of fighting to take out the fittings.

babyblues

This is the part that broke off the tank. I don't have a clue how to fix that. I guess I'm at a loss to think of how I'm going to attach my air line to the tank now. What is that part called? I can't imagine I wouldn't be able to find something to replace it.

Attachments

• tank-2.jpg
    tank-2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 288

Druid

Are you saying the inner thread broke off from the inner fitting (the one with the rubber "O" ring)?

Skye

How about a pic of the thing while it's broken, maybe we'll be more clear as to what piece you're talking about.

I assumed you meant the threaded part with the teflon is what broke off inside the bare metal piece.

So the inner and outer fittings broke broke on the threading that goes through the aperature in the pot lid? Or is it a fitting that is welded to the lid? HF has 2 different pot types. The earlier manufacture were the welded ones. The new ones are all the threaded ones.

If this is the threaded one, then you can use black iron fittings from the Lowes or Home Depot and a steel threaded nipple with a gasket to create the same fitting arrangment.

Druid

Extract the thread and insert a new male fitting. I believe the thread size is standard, you don't necessarily need the exact same Teflon nut with thread. In theory you could use an oversize hex nut with an O ring.

Two factors for the fitting to work:
1) diameter must fit snug
2) use a larger O ring between the nut and pot.

If you can't extract the thread, take the pot to a plumbing friend or the plumbing section at Lowes or Home Depot, they should be able to give you some ideas to modify & fix your problem.

I literally tore up the Teflon nut on mine when I disassembled the fitting. I'll be purchasing another pot tomorrow and will rethink the refitting approach.

Good luck

S

spiritwoodturner

For anyone reading this thread and thinking about doing a pot, do yourself a favor. If you don't have a small hand-held brazing torch, buy one. They're cheap, and you'll need it someday. When I was taking mine apart, it was obvious to me they had some adhesive in there, so I hit each stuck fitting with the torch. If it hadn't been hot, you could have unscrewed it with your fingers! Get a torch, and any time you have a stuck fitting on something new, assume they glued it and apply fire.

Plus, your kids will think you're the coolest Dad on Earth when you whip that thing out to melt sugar on top of Creme Brulee! My kids bug me to make it just so they can show their friends. I'm the "More Power" guy on our block!!! I don't need no stinkin' little girly food torch, I need MORE POWER!!!

Dale

babyblues

So the inner and outer fittings broke broke on the threading that goes through the aperature in the pot lid? Or is it a fitting that is welded to the lid? HF has 2 different pot types. The earlier manufacture were the welded ones. The new ones are all the threaded ones.

If this is the threaded one, then you can use black iron fittings from the Lowes or Home Depot and a steel threaded nipple with a gasket to create the same fitting arrangment.

That's it!!! Thank you very much.

babyblues

For anyone reading this thread and thinking about doing a pot, do yourself a favor. If you don't have a small hand-held brazing torch, buy one. They're cheap, and you'll need it someday. When I was taking mine apart, it was obvious to me they had some adhesive in there, so I hit each stuck fitting with the torch. If it hadn't been hot, you could have unscrewed it with your fingers! Get a torch, and any time you have a stuck fitting on something new, assume they glued it and apply fire.

Plus, your kids will think you're the coolest Dad on Earth when you whip that thing out to melt sugar on top of Creme Brulee! My kids bug me to make it just so they can show their friends. I'm the "More Power" guy on our block!!! I don't need no stinkin' little girly food torch, I need MORE POWER!!!

Dale

You know, the thought crossed my mind to use heat, but I just kept on going. I've learned my lesson.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Plus, your kids will think you're the coolest Dad on Earth when you whip that thing out to melt sugar on top of Creme Brulee!

I need the instructional video. Or maybe a new welding mask. Mine was
too dark, I think. I put it on, fired up the acetylene torch and I thought I
was just going to 'touch up' the creme brulee. There was much yelling
and some sort of animal noises (who knew hamsters could scream?) and
then I turned around toward the dessert. Hard to see with that mask on..
and hard to tell where you're going.

I burned dessert.

On a good note, the new kitchen table looks nice. And the hamster
(now singular) can't get out of the cage anymore, since the door doesn't
open.

babyblues

Well, I tried some black iron fittings, but they didn't go together so well. So, I tried some brass fittings. Those worked much better. The hole in the lid is about 3/4" in diameter and 1/2" fittings fit almost perfect. At first, I tried o-rings, but they didn't seal well at all. I ended up using some gasket maker silicone to seal it and it works like a charm! I think I still have a small leak somewhere, but it should hold enough of a seal long enough to do what I need it to.

tool-man

For anyone reading this thread and thinking about doing a pot, do yourself a favor. If you don't have a small hand-held brazing torch, buy one. They're cheap, and you'll need it someday. When I was taking mine apart, it was obvious to me they had some adhesive in there, so I hit each stuck fitting with the torch. If it hadn't been hot, you could have unscrewed it with your fingers! Get a torch, and any time you have a stuck fitting on something new, assume they glued it and apply fire.Dale

Am I glad I read this. My pot came today. About 30 seconds with the propane torch and each of the old fittings came right off.

Top Bottom