Plunge Filler fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penultimate

Penultimate

Greetings
Here is a plunge filler pen. This is my third one and my challenge for this pen was to refine some of my dimensions and improve my interior polishing technique. I was mostly successful. The pen is made from Bear Tooth Woods Cool Mint Ice acrylic blank and a sparkly green swirl Alumilite blank (don't know name or origin). I used a #5 Schmidt nib with the snap cap option. I like the smooth transition from section to body but I'm still getting use to the section shape.
I worked out a good work flow and tools for drilling and polishing the ink reservoir. It is important to have a good seal from the body finial to the relief. The size can't change more than 0.002" I drilled, reamed, lightly wet sanded then polished with Tripoli and white diamond using small diameter buffing bobs. Reaming is important, the flutes clean up spiral drill grooves leaving a consistent matte finish. Unfortunately, during drilling I caused some stress cracks at the end of the stroke. Have to figure out what went wrong. You can see them in the photos.

It is important to have a good seal at the finial end so there are two rubber seals and a felt washer. The felt washer has some silicone grease in it.

I made a new bending wire jig to bend the clip. It works better than my old jig.

The parts breakdown photo shows the finial seal set up. The plunger consists of four parts, the stamped rubber seal, two parts that secure the seal and the shaft. The two parts that hold the seal consist of a flat washer to back up the seal when plunging and a cone shaped part that allows the seal to deform and allow air to flow past when evacuating the reservoir. I like this type of filling mechanism because it holds a lot of ink and watching the ink flow up into the reservoir is cool.
I'm happy with the machining and assembly except the pen is a little short. I designed the body from the inside out making sure I had good drill depth but it needs to be about 1/2" longer. The next one will be longer and the section will a more traditional shaped with a threaded cap. I have an idea for a new bent wire clip.
The only parts I did not make raw materials are the nib assembly and a set screw the that holds the snap cap and finial to the cap.

Capped length 5.19"
Uncapped length 4.44"
Body diameter 0.464"
Cap OD 0.555"
weight 20.5 gr
Thanks for looking
PF1 parts.JPG
PF1 horizontal.JPG
PF1 vertical.JPG
plunger extended.JPG
PF1 filled.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Nicely done.

I got a couple of plunge/vacuum fill mechanisms from Richard Greenwald, do not intend to attempt making those myself!

duncsuss

Hi Duncan
You have to give it a try. it is so cool to watch the ink flow up into the resevior. The Greenwald parts seem well machined.
I made a prototype, which worked-kinda ... yes, the few times I saw ink draw into the pen it was slightly magical, but the tolerances were so tight that as soon as I polished the insides of the barrel it stopped working. Richard has retired and won't be making any more mechanisms; I doubt I have the tools/skills necessary to fabricate the mechanisms myself.

Top Bottom