Funline Designer with Tinted Maple Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ink_a_fink

ink_a_fink

I've been experimenting with tints lately - this is the first one that I think looked remotely presentable haha!
The pen def. has its imperfections with turning and getting everything flush...but I was more concerned with dialing in dilution of the dyes than turning a perfect pen.

The dyes used were Transtint - and they were heavily diluted. I don't think I have perfected the tints by any stretch of the imagination but I am liking the subtle coloring of this one. It almost has a faded/weathererd look.

Attachments

• DSCF7905.jpg
    DSCF7905.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF7906.jpg
    DSCF7906.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF7907.jpg
    DSCF7907.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 88
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Wow, those colors are brilliant! You soak the wood before turning or after? I like the color patterns
I turned it down first. It wasn't soaked, but just dropped on with these little bottles. That was all done with red, blue, and yellow, overlapped to get the mix/transition. The wood does swell a little (at least with soft maple), so I shaved it even with a sharp skew after it dried. Sanding would make a mess of those colors. I was just having some fun to see if I could do a tie-dye like pattern, but was happy with the results, as was the customer who purchased it.

ink_a_fink

I turned it down first. It wasn't soaked, but just dropped on with these little bottles. That was all done with red, blue, and yellow, overlapped to get the mix/transition. The wood does swell a little (at least with soft maple), so I shaved it even with a sharp skew after it dried. Sanding would make a mess of those colors. I was just having some fun to see if I could do a tie-dye like pattern, but was happy with the results, as was the customer who purchased it.
Right on, very cool! I think it turned out great

Top Bottom