Casting Pink and White blanks using Alumilite Clear Slow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kari

I decided to dive in head first again after being out of the pen turning hobby for around 10 years. So I'm restarting my journey where I left off...making resin blanks.
When I quit pen making back in 2014, my attempts at casting swirls ended up looking like mud. Well 10 years and a lot of youtube videos, I think I'm finally getting it right.

This is my second pour since getting back into the hobby.
Blanks are Alumilite Clear Slow colored with mica powders.
Dimensions are 7/8" x 7/8" x 6"

I would love to have comments and feedback on what you like or what I could do better.

thanks
Kari

Attachments

• pink-white.jpg
    pink-white.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Wow, those are gorgeous.
I wonder how translucent they are when turned down.

JohnU

Congrats, you've done well for being on a ten year vacation. You have some good swirl but your colors are still a bit divided. I would suggest letting your resin get a little bit hotter in temperature before pouring, and try to alternate your colors at least three times each when pouring. That will give your blanks a more consistent color through the entire blank rather than having the top half pink and the lower white. If you're not using a digital temp gun to measure resin temp before pouring, try one for your next pour. Resin temp is the key, time mentioned on the resin labels is only a general idea. Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing more.

Fred Bruche

I agree with John, the color separation could be improved by better controlling the resin temperature at the time of pouring.
Another issue I have struggled with as well when pouring in a block mold is the color mixing (or lack thereof) at the bottom of the block. In your blanks, there is an area of about 1/8 to 1/4" that is essentially white. In my experience that will result in odd-looking "streaks" compared to the rest of the better-mixed areas once turned round. One way I found around that is to make a thicker resin pour (1 to 1.25" block) and cut 1/4" of the bottom before turning the blank. Another way is to better control the amount of colored resin, in your case less white to begin with, and that should develop with more experience.

Kari

Thanks so much for the great feedback.
I turned one of the blanks and here is the result. Its a decent swirl but not what I had pictured in my mind when I poured.
I will have to find my non-contact thermometer before I pour the next ones.

/Kari

Attachments

• 7ab5d691-1a2d-4faf-8ab8-08cc61667e55.jpeg
    7ab5d691-1a2d-4faf-8ab8-08cc61667e55.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 7fb6383d-cd88-42c9-a8d2-a8136884c5bd.jpeg
    7fb6383d-cd88-42c9-a8d2-a8136884c5bd.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 80

Hippie3180

Thanks so much for the great feedback.
I turned one of the blanks and here is the result. Its a decent swirl but not what I had pictured in my mind when I poured.
I will have to find my non-contact thermometer before I pour the next ones.

/Kari
That turned out beautifully!

amtechrs

A good temperature to begin pouring the different colors together is above 100F, closer to 110-115F if you can hold off that long. The resin does get pretty thick by then.
Thanks for the info, Kevin! Do you think the hotter, thus thicker, epoxy makes it more difficult to get the air bubbles out?

KMCloonan

At some point, yes. The resin sets up and solidifies. It's a balancing act. JohnU can provide great guidance on this topic. I'm still a novice. You can find some great threads on this topic using the search function.

Top Bottom