Pen Vise Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffj13

Does anyone have any experience with the Lee Valley pen vise($40). Yeah, yeah, I know, I should just buy the Paul Huffman vise.

While I believe everything that is said about the PH vise, bottom line is I don't have the money and I have a $40 credit at Lee Valley from a return.

So, if you have some experince with the Lee Valley vise, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

I tried out the aforementioned vice at my local Lee Valley store. It's good value for money but not as rigid/sturdy as Paul's vice. It will get the job done and won't send you to the poorhouse doing it. I believe that it is the same style/model that PSI(Woodworkingz) sells for about the same price. Don't know if shipping charges will make a difference in the final price coming out of your wallet.
-Peter-[:)]

JimGo

Jeff,
Honestly, you're better off spending your $40 on other stuff. Those other vises just don't hold up like Paul's, and you'll be replacing yours in a year.

If you're REALLY stuck, drop me an E-mail. I see some stuff on their web site that I might be interested in, and would be willing to trade you money for your credit this way you can put the money toward Paul's vise.

jeffj13

Thank you all for your advice and for the offers. While I will probably go to pen making purgatory for this, I pulled the trigger on the Lee Valley vise. It looks well made and for the number of pens I make, I couldn't justify (or afford) the cost of the PH.

Thanks again all.

jeff

Awoodfan

Personally I have had one of their vises about a year and have had not one problem and quite satisfied. And for what it's worth I make about 1200 plus pens a year.

Ron

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20061152844_blk-wte%20revsquare.gif
<br />

pmpartain

I wanted to buy and still do want to buy the Paul H. vice. However, I bought the Lee Valley vise a few months ago because I didn't want to wait for the PH vice and the one that I bought from Woodcraft was terrible. For me, the Lee Valley vise is a big improvement over the Woodcraft vice. The problem with the Woodcraft vise is that it uses two screws to move the jaws. Since the two screws are synchronized with gears, when you tighten it one screw climbs up and the other is pressed down. This causes the whole vise to twist. The Lee Valley vise only uses one screw. I've only seen pictures of Paul's vise. The Lee Valley vise is not nearly as heavy duty, or in my estimation as accurate. However, it is leaps ahead of my old vise. Much more accurate. I'm a little worried about how long it will last. If I can get a year to 18 months out of it, I'll be happy. When it does wear out, I hope I can still get a vise made by Paul.

bnoles

Mark,

If I were you I would go ahead and get on Paul's list so when the LV goes out on you, you can be in line to have the one you really need.[}:)][:D]

I was like you and many others and had to go thru several vices before I realized the PH vice was really a bargan after all. [B)] I would not trade mine for any or all of them out there at any price now that I have used it. Spoils you fast.... REAL fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom