Beall 3 Wheel Buffing System

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I just received a response to an inquiry I sent to the Beall Tool Co. Seems they have reduced the length of their buffing mandrel by one inch so it will better fit the JET mini and other lathes with shorter distances between centers. To be honest, I'm not sure that is quite enough the keep the tailstock from hanging off the end of the ways, especially if you use a large live center like the Oneway. It is a step in the right direction, however.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithz

I don't believe it will help all that much. I own one and hate using it. Besides the issue with the tailstock, the wheels are too close together. I have large hands and find it is next to impossible to use the white diamond wheel without buffing your hands on the other two. I regret having bought every time I get it out.

keithz

Dario

I've read that it is only good to buff small items...forget using it if you are buffing bowls. Reducing the mandrel length will just make the situation worse.

wood-of-1kind

The 'ideal' size for the Jet mini is 14" (shaft length). No overhang issues with this baby. Sorry, Randy I just can't resist with all this buffing interest of late. The smaller 5" wheels make pen buffing that much easier even with 'big' paws at the elm.
-Peter-
20061229235611_PC230003.jpg
<br />

Randy_

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />.....The 'ideal' size for the Jet mini is 14" (shaft length). No overhang issues with this baby. Sorry, Randy I just can't resist with all this buffing interest of late......

I guess it all depends upon how you define "ideal?" On my JET, a shaft 15" long including 2" of Morse taper would fit perfectly. Someone with a smaller live center could use an even longer shaft while someone with a large live center would need a shorter shaft.

As I said earlier, it is hard for me to understand how a Beall shaft.... even one shortened by 1" to 17" could fit on a JET mini..... guess we will just have to wait until someone who has one can offer a first-hand report??

Only thing I can imagine is that the Beall taper is very long and thin enough so that little or none of it extends beyond the face of the spindle??[?][?]

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />[quote<br />.....
[I guess it all depends upon how you define "ideal?" On my JET, a shaft 15" long including 2" of Morse taper would fit perfectly.

15" will not allow you to tighten the tailstock properly and may pose problems with 'overhang'. IDEAL size refers to 'working properly' without problems. Your 'nitpicking' of terms nullifies your ability to reasonably grasp when someone is trying to give some helpful advice. I've spent a great deal of research time to come up with the best possible dimensions for this buffing shaft.
-Peter-

woodbutcher

The morse taper uses up 2-3 inches. Mine is mounted on a Delta midi and I use the Oneway live center. The tailpiece does ever so slightly hang over the edge but has caused me no problems. It is a pain in the butt at times to buff with but I also use bowl buffs. I really like my Beal system.

Randy_

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />......15" will not allow you to tighten the tailstock properly and may pose problems with 'overhang'......I've spent a great deal of research time to come up with the best possible dimensions for this buffing shaft.

Looks like you should spend a little more time on your research. As I stated earlier, a 15" mandrel shaft including 2" of Morse taper will fit perfectly on my Jet lathe without any clamping problem and without any overhang of the tailstock. Get out your tape measure and you will see that I am correct.

Randy_

Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />The morse taper uses up 2-3 inches. Mine is mounted on a Delta midi and I use the Oneway live center. The tailpiece does ever so slightly hang over the edge but has caused me no problems. It is a pain in the butt at times to buff with but I also use bowl buffs. I really like my Beal system.

Jim: What do you mean by "ever so slightly"....1/2"....1"....2"? Would you please be so kind as to take a measurement on your Delta lathe so I can compare it with my JET? Set your tailstock at the extreme end of the bed; but without any overhang. Fully retract the tailstock spindle and then extend it by one full turn of the hand wheel. Remove any tools from the two spindles and then measure the distance between the faces of the two spindles. On my Jet, that dimension is 15-7/16".

And finally, is your Beall mandrel the old one that is 18" long or the newer 17" one. Thanks.

Oh yeah. could you do one more thing for me, please? Measure the length of the tapered section on your Beal mandrel and how much of it is in the spindle recess and how much of extends out beyond the end of the spindle? Thanks again.

Jim: What do you mean by "ever so slightly"....1/2"....1"....2"? Would you please be so kind as to take a measurement on your Delta lathe so I can compare it with my JET? Set your tailstock at the extreme end of the bed; but without any overhang. Fully retract the tailstock spindle and then extend it by one full turn of the hand wheel. Remove any tools from the two spindles and then measure the distance between the faces of the two spindles. On my Jet, that dimension is 15-7/16".

Randy, I'm not Jim, but my Delta midi measures 18 3/16".

Randy_

George: Thanks very much for that information. It explains a lot. I have seen many catalog descriptions of the Delta midi and they all spec that lathe as having 14" between turning centers as does JET for their mini. Your measurement shows that the Delta has almost 3" more length between centers than the Jet and clearly explains why the Beall mandrel fits the Delta; but not the JET.

Now, if only we can figure out how the Beall folks can claim that their mandrel fits the JET??

wood-of-1kind

<br />[quote
... could use an even longer shaft while someone with a large live center would need a shorter shaft.

Randy, sometimes you actually outsmart yourself with your own replies. Differences in length ( shorter & longer) spans on the minis make a 14" the 'perfect' size. Research over. Ace on my side and the usual 'oef' on your side including face. [:D]

-Peter-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom