NOVA DVR XP Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have started eyeing the DVR XP’s 1-3/4 HP (115v) lathe. A few questions:

- Does anyone here have one?
- In your opinion is it worth the money?
- Has it been reliable?
- Would you spend the money to buy another one?

- Is there anything else out there that compares to this lathe?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I don't have one. But it is one of the most widely regarded lathes in the world. Fine reputation. There are other fine lathes on the market also. This is one of those decisions only you can make. I suggest you join a forum more dedicated to woodturning/working and ask there.
I reccomend Family Woodworking as an excellent forum.
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/index.php

Dario

ou can start here..

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2767364&page=6&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=

I will add more as I find them

dubdrvrkev

I have one and I love it. I think in a 16" swing lathe that is the only way to go. Charles aka Tangboy5000 ( www.woodchipshome.com )has a good price on them as well. Being a lefty, I really appreciate the swivel head and using that function I was able to turn a 17.5" platter on the 16" lathe without the out rigger.
The only downside I have found so far is the lack of a good stand, which I solved by making my own that is heavy and sturdy enough to get the weight up there for the bigger stuff to remain stable.
The upsides are many; lots of power and torque throughout the RPM, very quiet, can turn in reverse, rotating head, no belts, pretty small footprint and I'm sure I'm leaving out some stuff.
That said, if you outfit it with bed extension and outrigger it will be closer to the price of a PM3520 which is of course a 20" swing. That decision has to be made by you and what you think you'll turn. For me, it was hard to find larger blanks than the DVR will handle so I wasn't really needing more than 16" swing, I do have the out rigger now so I can turn up to 29" outboard now.

Dario

Another option...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00064NGRE/bretsreviews3-20

Jet 708359 JWL-1642EVS 16-Inch Swing 42-Inch between Centers 1-1/2 Horsepower Electronic Variable Speed Woodworking Lathe, 115-Volt 1 Phase

Price: $1,699.99 FREE SHIPPING
You Save: $243.01 (13%)
Rebate: $200.00
Price After Rebate: $1,499.99

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have a DVR, the year model right before the XP came out. I completely love it and would certainly buy it again. Then again, I like technology and the DVR is about the most tech. advanced lathe out there.

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Another option...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00064NGRE/bretsreviews3-20

Jet 708359 JWL-1642EVS 16-Inch Swing 42-Inch between Centers 1-1/2 Horsepower Electronic Variable Speed Woodworking Lathe, 115-Volt 1 Phase

Price: $1,699.99 FREE SHIPPING
You Save: $243.01 (13%)
Rebate: $200.00
Price After Rebate: $1,499.99

410 pounds for reduced vibration [:0]

Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />I have a DVR, the year model right before the XP came out. I completely love it and would certainly buy it again. Then again, I like technology and the DVR is about the most tech. advanced lathe out there.

That is what is drawing me to it too. No belts and computer controlled. Now if I can only talk the Mrs. into letting me get one... [:D]

jaywood1207

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />
Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />I have a DVR, the year model right before the XP came out. I completely love it and would certainly buy it again. Then again, I like technology and the DVR is about the most tech. advanced lathe out there.

That is what is drawing me to it too. No belts and computer controlled. Now if I can only talk the Mrs. into letting me get one... [:D]

"It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission." [:D] Never worked for me but worth a try.

olsenla

I also have a DVR XP. I have had it for a couple of months and I for sure love it!! I am very impressed with how smooth and quiet it runs and the quality that is built into the machine. One other small point is the energy efficiency of this lathe. It only uses as much power as is needed for the job at hand. I would buy this lathe again----but it is nice knowing that I won't have to.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom