Pen Cup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

An addition to my wifes Christmas pile because she keeps complaining that her pen cup is too small. Well if she'd stop stealing my pens, I think it would have been fine! I picked up this piece of wood at the carving show a few weeks ago. Manzanita root I believe. I am terrible at spinning big bowl like things. This darn thing wobbled so bad I had to clamp the lathe to the table and turn at while the table walked around the shop, as I cursed. Then a few big chunks blew off an I had to glue it back together a few times. Had to sharpen my gouge every 5 seconds, so I switched to Ken's woodchuck. That sure helped increase my turning to 15 seconds then had to turn the carbide and went through 3 carbide bits, all four sides before giving up and switching to a belt sander and mask. This root seems to have sand in it like cement. You see a brown spot near the lower left in one of the pics..I swear that's super duper compact sand. I had to do multiple fills of inlace..it goes on and one, sand, glue, curse. Dusted up the whole shop and took me about 10 horific hours to make. Cup turned out ok, it's about 7" wide on the outside. I'll never do it again. If she doesn't like it, I'll be punting it into her you know what! :laugh:

Attachments

• DSC04556.JPG
    DSC04556.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC04558.JPG
    DSC04558.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I definitely could have put a mermaid into this cup Bruce, but I am busy and it was enough work to begin with just spinning this without a mermaid in it. Would have looked real cool though with a mermaid suspended in that big natural void. Something to think about down the road when time is less important. The color and figure in the Manzanita is really cool. Too bad my lighting and camera is junk till after Ms Clause arrives.

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Jeff, my compliments and your end result of staying with the process to get a GREAT LOOKING special holding cup for you wife's pens, pencils, etc. You really gave new life to that old root.
Pat

Top Bottom