Pendant finish options?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan_F

Dan_F

I made a couple of pendants, would like to use something other than CA for a finish, something that will pop the grain on curly maple, as well as afford good protection for the wood. Any ideas?

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

I've not made pendants but have worked enough curly maple to know
wipe on varnish works very well for grain pop and if you only go a couple coats
it soaks in, not sits on top and will buff easily to a nice sheen when dry.
This affords a nice reasonable protection, and no build up finish work.

purplehaze

finish

I dont know if this will help you since I have only made a few pendants for my girls, but here is what I did.

I tried CA and they came out great but it was too labor intensive for a pendant.

Then I tried dipping the pendants in fast drying poly, it was easy and it worked pretty well. What it didnt do was fill in any grain irregularities no matter how many times I dipped them. So I tried sanding them a bit, but the poly was still soft even after a couple of days. This could have been because it was during some humid summer days.

So to fill in the grain I tried some CA and sanding. This worked well until I dipped it in the poly and the finish became splotchy where I had sanded thru the CA. Interesting affect but not what I was looking for.

If I make any more I will try a spray on finish.

Good luck

byounghusband

I have used Deft Spray Lacquer while it is on the lathe and burnish it in with a cotton shop rag with good results. I then buff it with Tripoli, White Diamond and then Carnuba Wax. Works Great!!

Top Bottom