PS while we are at it here is a product I bet not many heard of or tried. I read here many times people want to fill the large grain woods when doing a finish. here is a water based product used in the finishing world that can do what layers of CA does . Aqua Coat Water-Based Clear Wood Grain Filler Gel, Fast-Drying, Low Odor.
It's taken me way too long to respond to this, but I have in fact tried this Aqua Coat, and I love it. Might be the best suggestion I've received here so far. The process I've found works very well:
- Turn blanks to their final shape.
- Sand 150, 240, and 320 grit paper.
- Quick wipe with odorless mineral spirits to clean off dust, skin oils, and any other contaminants.
- Apply thin coats of Aqua Coat; at least two, with an hour between coats, three or more if the material is pitty (sometimes is the case with stabilized wood).
- Let the last coat dry overnight.
- Resume sanding with 320, 400, 600, 800 grit paper, then 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000 grit sanding sponges (dry).
- Steel wool, just for the halibut.
- Another wipe of mineral spirits, then let set a few minutes to thoroughly dry.
- 1 or 2 coats of EEE.
- 1 or 2 coats of shellawax, buffed with a lint-free microfiber cloth.
The finish ends up super smooth, though the shellawax is still not quite as glossy as I'd like, but damn close. I'm going to try Mylands Friction Polish, as that stuff supposedly gives a better shine with enough layers. But the bottom line here is, I'm loving the results with the Aqua Coat.