Opinions on Lathe Chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hartwell85

I am interested in members opinions on the brands of lathe chucks they use. The common brands I am aware of are Nova, Record Power, Easy Wood, Robert Sorby, and Vic Mark. What brand(s) do you use? What do you like/dislike about them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I have Easy Wood's Easy Chuck as my main go to. I also have a couple of Novas G3s and the larger Nova (name escapes me at the moment). There are two OneWay chucks in my inventory as well - a Stronghold and a Talon which I use excusively on my PM2014 (1 1/4x8 spindle). The others I use on my Jet 1221 (1x8 spindle). The is also one Woodriver chuck floating around somewhere but hat one has not seen any use for years.

I especially like the Easy Chuck for its quick jaw changing feature and with the spindle adapter, I can use it on both lathes. The Nova G3 I use the most has the Nova Pen Jaws attached and it is used 95% for drilling blanks. The OneWays are used for bowl turning and do a great job.

MRDucks2

With my P90 I was more limited on selection for the large spindle and went with a Hurricane. It has done well and so did the Nova chucks I used on my previous lathe. One thing I recommend is to take look at the jaw selection available for the brands that interest you. That can help drive your decision, too.

Drewby108

I have one of the midi nova chucks (t bars to tighten) and my father has the nova g3. I am happy with both for their uses and the interchangeability of the jaw sets

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
FOR THE MONEY I would recommend the Barracuda chuck, shown here:

It comes with several sets of jaws (usually extra) and uses "T" handle to tighten with one hand--
I have used one for about 5 years--works for me!!

FWIW,
Ed

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I love my Supernova2. I bought it from here a few years ago:

Gary Beasley

I have a Nova Infiniti chuck and a full range of jaws. Dont think its made anymore as I havent seen it advertised. I use it all the time, relegated the Supernova to 50mm jaws and worm screw service.

BCnabe

I have had a Barracuda chuck for years and it has worked well. The only drawback I have found is that over time the key for tightening has become worn and it will sometimes slip if I don't keep firm pressure while turning the key. I'm sure I can get a new key when it gets bad enough but so far it's just a slight annoyance.

I would assume the chucks that have square key wrenches would have this "issue".

The other thing to consider is that the Barracuda chuck (from Penn State) doesn't have dovetail jaws available.

Top Bottom